American Standard oil boiler APH 115, series 1B J1 questions

Old 10-20-14, 10:04 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
American Standard oil boiler APH 115, series 1B J1 questions

Hi all, new to forum and need help!!! Have above furnace, Bell and Gossett Series 100 pump, Honeywell R8184 G 4009 burner control. Where the Honeywell control connects (mounted on junction box on left side of furnace) behind the sheet metal of the furnace, there are two small bars / strips connected to furnace by two screws each, with wires coming out and connecting to wires in the Honeywell box. No one I've talked to can tell me what these are or what they do, (I'm concerned as one wire is hanging on by a thread!! am worried it might come off) The cold pressure is good at 12-14 psi, but what concerns me most is furnace will fire up, sometimes it cuts off about 200 degrees, sometimes 170, or 180, (don't know how accurate gauge is) Other than concerns, boiler cuts on and off as thermostat calls for heat, would like to know if anyone can id bars / strips, and do I have anything to worry about with the cut off degrees? Anyway, sorry for being long-winded, thanks in advance for all help, vlchektool P.S. as far as I know furnace dates to build date of house in 1966

Old 10-20-14, 10:11 AM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Can you take a picture and show us?..................

Old 10-20-14, 10:15 AM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
do I have anything to worry about with the cut off degrees?
Aquastat controls should be repeatable from cycle to cycle...

BUT

Make sure what you are seeing is actually the water reaching the high limit and cutting off the burner and not the THERMOSTAT being satisfied before the water is reaching the high limit.

Old 10-20-14, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 69 Posts
Where the Honeywell control connects (mounted on junction box on left side of furnace) behind the sheet metal of the furnace, there are two small bars / strips connected to furnace by two screws each, with wires coming out and connecting to wires in the Honeywell box. No one I've talked to can tell me what these are or what they do,
Sounds like a terminal strip. From the strip a wire runs inside the jacket and comes out by the gas valve. If so you have a millivolt gas valve with a powerpile...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: