taco valve to honeywell aquastat.wiring issue.

Old 10-27-14, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
taco valve to honeywell aquastat.wiring issue.

Hi all. I ned help wiring taco 571-2 zone valves to honeywell l8148e aquastat. The terminals on the aquastat are labelled T. TV. W and Z. With jumper between z and w. I was going to wire as follows....stat to #1valve. #2 to tv. #3 to t. And w back to tstat. Its a gas fired boiler with a 24vburner and 120v circ pump. Just added apprx 40' of baseboard heat to basement. Was hoping to seperate basement from 1st floor via 2 valves without adding another pump or transformer.
Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-14, 03:40 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't recommend you use the transformer in the aquastat to power two Taco valves.

Burn out the transformer by overloading it and you're all in for about a $150 replacement aquastat and at least an hour to replace it. Can't buy them off the shelf at HD or Lowes.

Don't forget, that transformer is also powering your gas valve... it has enough load on it already without having to deal with the power hungry Taco valves as well.

Use external transformer and it's a $20 / 20 minute job to replace it.

Not only that, but if the external transformer does quit, you can still manually open the Taco valves and have heat in an emergency.

Burn out the transformer in the aquastat and you are 5h1tOuttaLuck.

Honeywell says you can run two of THEIR valves from the aquastat, but the Taco valves draw about twice as much power from the transformer as the Honeywells. Still, I don't think it's wise for the above reasons.

Separate transformer (or a Taco ZVC panel) all the way.

Old 10-27-14, 03:46 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It's not really difficult to add a transformer.

Mount a 4" utility box, run 120VAC to the box from the same circuit the boiler is on, mount transformer on the plate to the box... wire valves. Piece of cake.

Old 10-27-14, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks NJ TROOPER. Will tackle it tomorrow.

Old 10-27-14, 04:59 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Here is an example of the installation described by Trooper. The common xfmr rating is 40 VA. The cover plate will have a hole in the middle for the black and white 120-V wires to pass through.

Name:  SAM_0180.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  31.3 KB