Is it worth it to replace tankless coil or better replace boiler?

Old 10-28-14, 06:27 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it worth it to replace tankless coil or better replace boiler?

We have a Burham RS109 that is 25 years old. The DHW coil needs replacement and we were quoted $1500 for it. The question we're facing is: would it be good to just replace it or better spend the money replacing the whole boiler with a more efficient one?

Thank you!

Old 10-28-14, 11:45 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Welcome to the Do It Yourself forum.

Replacing a boiler for the sole purpose of increasing efficiency is rarely cost effective, It could take in excess of ten years before you see any savings.

A tankless coil inside a boiler is the second worst method of providing domestic hot water; the worst is an open kettle on a wood-burning kitchen range. I suggest that you look into a stand-alone water heater, either gas or electric as appropriate to your fuel choice. There are also oil-fired water heaters but they are not as common. Another route could be what is called an indirect heater that utilizes the boiler water to heat water in a storage tank, these are far more efficient than a tankless coil.

Old 10-29-14, 07:23 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
Welcome to the Do It Yourself forum.

Replacing a boiler for the sole purpose of increasing efficiency is rarely cost effective, It could take in excess of ten years before you see any savings.

A tankless coil inside a boiler is the second worst method of providing domestic hot water; the worst is an open kettle on a wood-burning kitchen range. I suggest that you look into a stand-alone water heater, either gas or electric as appropriate to your fuel choice. There are also oil-fired water heaters but they are not as common. Another route could be what is called an indirect heater that utilizes the boiler water to heat water in a storage tank, these are far more efficient than a tankless coil.
Thank you. We are new homeowners and are full of questions!

We can't use either electric (only 100A, no breaker spaces) or gas (not available in the area) for the water heater. I'll look into the indirect heater.

Old 10-30-14, 01:34 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
We can't use either electric (only 100A, no breaker spaces) or gas (not available in the area) for the water heater. I'll look into the indirect heater.
I understand about not having gas available but the rest is nonsensical in most cases. Many, many homes have 60 or 100 ampere electrical service AND an electric water heater. What is your calculated demand on the electrical?

As for not having enough circuit breaker spaces...this is a common problem that is easily solved in many cases by the addition of a "sub" panel fed from the service panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: