my basic boiler questions

Old 11-30-14, 04:39 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just done writing a check for a state licensed plumber / heating company.

they changed the thermocouple and the whole pilot stem because the old thermocouple was melted into the old stem and wouldn't come out.

they also told me to ignore the gauge because these gauges die within a few months of installation. and supposedly they just don't make steam gauges that last long at all.
they said the relief valve is still good because it leaked a few ounces and stopped. if the relief valve was bad then it wouldn't have stopped leaking.

Thank Heavens this whole thing is done!

Old 11-30-14, 04:49 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I totally forgot why i started this discussion last night to begin with!

My pilot wont stay lit . every time i light it and release the red button the pilot goes off.
It's a joke, right?

Thank Heavens this whole thing is done!
You think it is? I don't.

they also told me to ignore the gauge because these gauges die within a few months of installation. and supposedly they just don't make steam gauges that last long at all.
Yeah, OK, whatever... you NEED a gauge on the system. If it's mounted on a pigtail it will last a good amount of time. If you install a small valve on that pigtail, you can shut off the gauge when not using it and it will last forever.

they said the relief valve is still good because it leaked a few ounces and stopped. if the relief valve was bad then it wouldn't have stopped leaking.
Yeah, OK, whatever... relief valves should be replaced every five years as a maintenance item.

Trust me... these things should still be done:

1. Remove and clean pigtail.

1a. Correct that sub-standard, poor workmanship, wiring while you are doing this.

2. If you opt to replace the original pressure gauge, install a pigtail siphon tube on that gauge ALSO. This will allow the use of any gauge (i.e. not an internal siphon type) in the future, and probably make the job of replacing a gauge easier.

3. Replace the RELIEF VALVE.

4. Remove the gauge glass, clean it out so you can see the water level. Check both valves to make sure they aren't plugged up, replace if necessary, and replace the seals on the gauge glass.

But, it's your system, your home, and if you don't care, then neither do I.

Good Luck!

Old 11-30-14, 04:50 PM
NJT
Please tell me that they didn't crank the settings on the PressurTrol while they were there.

Oh, by the way, since you don't seem to care, don't buy the book or download the manual.

Old 11-30-14, 05:02 PM
G
Oh Boy! Please don't get upset. Firstly thank you for all your time since yesterday.
Now...

They did not touch the pressuretrol.

I am on amazon looking at that book to buy it.

I will get the pressure relief valve replaced in the coming days by some one who will not charge me Sunday price. I don't care If it is 6 months old it will get replaced 4 my own sanity. ( i bought the house in august) I was actually willing to pay sunday price to replace the gauge and the relief valve and thats when they started to say those things really dont matter.These guys said they didnt have a 15 psi steam valve on their truck 2 replace tonight. they basically were saying if it aint broke dont fix it...but..i am gonna replace it anyway very soon.

i will put a pig tail and stick a new gauge to the pig tail.( i like your idea of a valve to extend the life of the gauge)

i will make sure there is water in the pig tail before installing it.

i will fix the wiring.

i already bought the glass gauge at lowes for $11.

when i say "i" i mean myself or a plumber friend of mine.

I am sorry , i didn't mean to upset u. i am gonna do all the stuff u said and will post pictures ;-)

i will talk 2 my plumber friend about cleaning out the existing pigtail attached to the pressuretrol.it will involve moving the 2 transformers 2 a new location.

i do care about my home.
thank you again 4 everything.

Last edited by group; 11-30-14 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-30-14, 05:09 PM
NJT
No, I'm not upset, my skin is much too thick for that.

Actually... I am a little upset, not at you, but at those knuckleheads you had in...

To say this:

they also told me to ignore the gauge
Is just plain irresponsible. That's what got to me.

I can understand not wanting to pay Sunday price.

You did make it sound as if you were finished though.

Keep us up to date on the progress please.

Old 11-30-14, 05:13 PM
G
I am not gonna let your time go to waste . please trust me.

Old 11-30-14, 05:17 PM
G
Nope, it aint done ever. no way! its like i have a second car with this boiler.
there will be weekly checks from now onwards.
from now on there will be annual servicing. ( they said they charge $89 to clean the pig tail , corrosion, test the vent , damper etc etc)
and of course more reading to apply more knowledge.
thanks a million again from PA
Good night.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: