New boiler turning on with thermostat off

Old 11-09-14, 08:57 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New boiler turning on with thermostat off

Hello my name is chris. I purchased a house early this year knowing the boiler would need to be replaced before this winter. I purchased a boiler and had someone come in take out the old one and plumb in the new one. It was agreed that i would do the electrical.

For reference this is the boiler i purchased OWB - Oil Fired Water Boiler Series 2 | Williamson | Product Detail
It uses a beckett burner with 7505 burner control.

Im not new to electric but i am new to boilers. it looked pretty straight forward. all the old wiring was still intact so i just connected my hot, neutral and ground to the boiler, snapped the disconnect together to the burner and connected the circulator. At this point i turned on the circuit breaker. the boiler control box status led's lit up and then to my surprise i heard the burner come on even though i hadn't turned on the thermostat. Being new to boilers my initial thought was that maybe after the initial power up the burner would automatically prime itself but after reading through both the boiler and burner manuals i see nothing that suggest the burner should be on without a call for heat unless you manually put it in prime pump mode. I then noticed that the boiler had the low limit set so i thought i had solved the problem by turning it to off but again when i powered up the boiler the burner turned on.

My only guess is that something must be calling for heat but its not my thermostat. i confirmed this by disconnecting the thermostat from TT completely. Also, after reading the manual i see that the burner should have entered lockout after a certain period of time of not igniting. This never happened despite the fact that a flame never developed.

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 11-10-14, 10:28 AM
Z
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Hi Chris

Im no expert, not even a qualified newbie (lol), but I would check the connections in that junction box outlined in figure 10. Maybe something wrong there. Sounds like you hear the motor going as soon as you power up the system but also get no flame at the same time. Sounds whacky but hopefully a simple problem.

Have no fear; Im sure the guys that really know their stuff will be along and will able to help.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-14, 11:06 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I've been scratchin' me haid all moring about this one!

Old 11-10-14, 08:42 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I guess this will just forever be a mystery. I went down to the boiler room and wired the thermostat back in. flipped the emergency switch to on and everything is working as it should! Feels good to have heat. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 11-11-14, 05:24 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Hi Chris,

OK, so it seems to be working... I guess that's good...

You need to have the combustion checked on that burner, preferably with instruments that measure smoke, CO2, etc... you can't just start up a new boiler and not adjust the burner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: