New Yorker hydronic boiler kettling

Old 11-20-14, 12:14 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Yorker hydronic boiler kettling

I have a 4 yr old New Yorker (CG-40 natural gas) that has recently started to make low kettling/popping sounds. It appears to be coming from the top of the system and towards the supply side. Up until this episode the boiler had been running trouble free, and you could not discern if the system was running unless you were next to it. House is standard 2 story 2200 sq ft all rads.

About 2 weeks ago I isolated the system and ran Rhomar hydrosolv 9100 via boiler protection loop with circulator for ~ 12 hours, flushed, filled, removed air and re-opened valves to main circulator. I ran across a post here that mentioned someone running it in their system for 5 weeks. (assuming that system was rather soiled)

The water in the system is treated with Nu calgon winter treat. It has been in there for about 2 yrs. I pulled vent stack to look inside at heat exchanger and it looks clean no debris no signs of leaks, checked bottom side as well.

Checked gas valve, it reads perfect 3.5 WC. Burners are clean and clear, nice blue flame. Also made sure rads were all bled.

System pressure is steady 15 while off, climbs to 18 at end of heating cycle. PH is ~ 8.5. Fill valve is set to 12.

When I turn the burner off and circulator running no noise.

Look forward to answering questions, and or hearing feedback.

-ro

Old 11-20-14, 12:24 PM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
That was I that ran the 9100 throughout the system for 5 weeks. I then treated the fill with a conditioner from Rhomar as well. Been kettle free ever since.

Is the Nu Calgon an antifreeze?

Not sure 12 hrs was enough to really dissolve any sediment that may be causing your issue.

Old 11-20-14, 03:09 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nu calgon is a scale, corrosion preventative similar to the rhomar conditioner.

I had chatted with rhomar and they mentioned 12-24 hrs should suffice for a newer system.

Might chat with them again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: