New Yorker hydronic boiler burner intermittently shutting down.

Old 01-04-15, 08:33 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Yorker hydronic boiler burner intermittently shutting down.

I have a NG New Yorer with Honeywell gas valve VR8304m3553 with Honeywell controller S8610U. ( intermittent spark system)

The issue presently is the system starts up normally. After 20-30 min the main burners shutdown with the pilot remaining lit. Burners then come on again after 3-5 seconds.

This goes on for about an hour, with shutdowns occurring every 15-20 minutes. System stabilizes after about 1 hour of run time.

The symptoms started 3 days ago.

I'm thinking the flame sensor is going bad and needs to be replaced.

How do I verify the controller/gas valve are healthy?

thanks

-r

Old 01-04-15, 10:00 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi R...

Will get deeper in after I ask some questions...

After 20-30 min
Why are the burners firing for 20-30 minutes on a heat call?

This goes on for about an hour, with shutdowns occurring every 15-20 minutes. System stabilizes after about 1 hour of run time.
And further, why is a heat call going for so long?

What type of heat emitters do you have in the home? i.e. fin-tube baseboard, cast iron baseboard, cast iron standing radiators...

Old 01-04-15, 10:07 AM
NJT
How do I verify the controller/gas valve are healthy?
Is there a GREEN LED on the module? (it's small, look closely, but you should see it if it's there. I believe older ones may not have the LED, probably the ones with GRAY cases, rather than black)

Is it doing any blinking?

Old 01-04-15, 02:17 PM
R
Hi NJ,

There is a flashing green and amber LED. The amber indicates flame presence and strength and the Green indicates system operation and error codes. I notice the amber LED go off obviously when the main burner goes off/out. When operating normally both go half sec off/ on.

Heat call goes for that length b/c it's recovering from overnight setback (early morning) and then early evening from midday leave.

System is mostly cast iron rads, with some cast iron baseboard- One circulator

Went through the literature and cleaned off the flame sensor with emery cloth. Checked all connections ground to gas valve etc.

Here is the doc i'm following - starting on page 17
http://s3.supplyhouse.com/manuals/12..._PROD_FILE.pdf

After further reading it looks like pg 21 (end of page) suggests the module should be replaced.

I went ahead and ordered a new kit anyway figuring it's good to have this stuff on hand.

Last edited by ro180; 01-04-15 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 04:20 PM
NJT
I went ahead and ordered a new kit
You ordered the entire 'retro-fit' kit?

I don't think you need all that...

That is for older boilers that have standing pilot and to convert to spark ignition.

Makes more sense to me to try just swapping out the module if you don't wish to diagnose further before putting parts in...

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell...trol-4584000-p

Here's the manual for the 8610 itself.

Why not look at the blink codes and see what the chart says?

Old 01-04-15, 04:27 PM
NJT
After 20-30 min the main burners shutdown with the pilot remaining lit. Burners then come on again after 3-5 seconds.
Please observe the pressure and temperature gauge on the boiler and report what you see.

Are you sure that the burners are not shutting down on HIGH LIMIT? Is the boiler water up to the setting of the aquastat?

Can you post some pictures of the boiler and the piping all around?

Do you know if your system has a BYPASS setup? (I might be able to tell from the pics)

Old 01-05-15, 05:34 AM
R
It starting at 70-80 temp- pressure at 15. I narrowed it down to the sensor . I "emery clothed" it again, more throughly and it appears to be functioning correctly so far.

This system originally came with a pilot setup and I installed the aforementioned kit ~ 4 yrs. I figure it's good insurance to have those components on hand for future need (i.e. when the thing breaks down on a 0 degree day with no parts to be had.)

I will swap sensor and report back.

thanks for the insight.

-r

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: