Motor on boiler is making loud humming and vibrating sound.

Old 01-04-15, 06:48 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motor on boiler is making loud humming and vibrating sound.

When my boiler kicks on lately, it has been making a loud humming, buzzing sound with the occasional whistle. When I place my hand on top of the motor, it feels like its vibrating. If I apply pressure, the loud noise and vibration is reduced. I did record a short video on my phone as well as audio. I don't see a way I can post that here. If there is a way, please let me know. If anyone is will to let me send the video via text, you can private message me.

It sorta has the sound of a jet engine and winds down when it kicks off. I don't know if it is something that might need lubrication or whatever. Other than that, I don't want to mess with it too much this week as it is going to get in the teens and single digits at night.

Thanks!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-15, 07:10 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Chris,

Tell us the make and model of the boiler...

Old 01-04-15, 08:08 PM
C
Hydrotherm model HI-85B
Serial: QU-1564

Motor is Fasco model 70700003 type U21B/63

Old 01-05-15, 05:49 AM
NJT
Looks like Mestek, the maker of the HydroTherm models has redesigned their website into some useless POS 'advertising' site.

I can't find ANY of the technical content on the HydroTherm boilers that used to be there.

So, no manual for me...

Do you have the manual? What does it say about service/maintenance on that draft inducer blower motor?

Here's the thing about that... if that motor fails and the system can't 'prove' that there is correct draft in the exhaust, the boiler will not fire.

If the bearings are dry and squealing, it probably won't be long before the motor no longer turns.

Old 01-05-15, 07:34 AM
C
Can the bearings be lubricated? I am most def a novice at boilers, but if you tell me how to do something, I can figure it out. No manual. It's been in the house 30 years and at least 2 home owners here before us. We have been here 7 years.

Funny thing is it is not doing it now. But it did it 75% of the time the last 3 days. And it has done it in the past. Can the motor be replaced without draining the lines? I would do that myself with my dad's help that can do some electrical. But might try to what til winter's over.

Old 01-05-15, 09:23 AM
NJT
Can the bearings be lubricated?
Probably.

if you tell me how to do something, I can figure it out.
Problem is that I'm not familiar with your boiler. If I could find a manual I could tell you step by step what to do... Visually inspect the motor for what appears to be oil ports...

Can the motor be replaced without draining the lines?
I wonder if we're talking about the same motor?

There the motor that runs the induced draft blower... that's inside a box on the side of the boiler. The part model name FASCO that you gave tells me that this is the one you have problem with.

There's also the water circulating pump...

If it's the draft blower, yes, that can be changed without draining.

The circulator, no, you probably have to drain.

Old 01-05-15, 10:14 AM
C
It is the one that is mounted on top of the boiler. Kinda in line with the draft vent so it might be the blower motor for that. I am assuming if that one also fails, it won't fire since that might cause a CO problem. It has been running fine today. I will take a pic later and post.

If you care to PM me a cell number NJ Trooper, I can send you a message with a video of it acting up. If you would be ok with that.

Off to work now.

Chris

Old 01-20-15, 05:55 PM
R
I just came across this thread. I have the exact same situation, furnace, and blower. Unfortunately, I do not have the paperwork for any of it either. I am wondering if anyone found a solution?

I do know that the blower motor is proprietary from Hydrotherm and that the going price is around $550.00.

The Hydrotherm part number is: 58-1858.

My motor part number is: 70700003, which cross references to part number 71700003. Sadly, I have had no luck with either of these numbers leading to a motor.

My next move was to either open my motor up and try to replace the sealed bearings or purchase a different 115v 2 speed HVAC Fasco motor in hopes that it would work.

Not sure what to do. Any suggestions other than paying $500+ dollars for a motor...?

Old 01-20-15, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,029 Votes on 955 Posts
Those that have the part left in stock know that they are no longer available and are charging what the market will bear. Over $500 for an inducer is crazy.

Most of those inducer motors have permanently sealed bearings and are not oilable.

Some people have sprayed in oil. It may or may not work. If it does it most likely won't last long.

It looks like Fasco offers many replacement inducer motors. You may be able to match one up by measurements and specs. The link below is the Fasco catalog. Around page 32 starts the inducer motors.

fasco/distribution/download-fasco-product-catalog/