Twin flow heater not working

Old 01-08-15, 09:22 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Twin flow heater not working

Hi Guys,
I have replaced my home's boiler with weil-Mclain boiler by a local plumber and I installed Beacon-Morris kick space heaterunder kitchen cabinets in 2011. It has been working fine since last three years. I have restarted my boiler this year after the summer, the kick space heater is not working and boiler is working fine. I can hear the hot water flow sound through pipes. Not getting enough heat to the house. This is a single loop, I have tapped to connect to kick space heater as suggested by the group. I released the air also. How can I improve the heat to the house. I think the boiler is 54K BTU and have one loop for the space of 1200sft. last three years no issues, used to get enough heat.
Is this beacuse of the kick space heater isssue? how can I resolve. Please help.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-15, 10:36 AM
J
I would guess there is air trapped at the point of going down to the 3/4 copper supply pipe. I installed coin vents on my heaters to bleed off any trapped air in the line. I assume you have monoflow tee's in the feed line. 3/4" main feed and 1/2" supply to the heater. I would suggest purging your system of air if you don't have bleeders on your heater. If you don't have bleeders put some on this summer. I am not the expert so you should get other reply's.

Old 01-08-15, 10:41 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
What's the pressure on the boiler gauge?

Old 01-08-15, 11:05 AM
M
The pressute is around <10, not remember exactly. tried to increase by lisfting the lever at the inflow. but didn't increased much. Does the air in the 1/2" pipe also stop the fan to rotate?

Jerome - Yes. its same what you said. I released the vent, which is given beside the kick space heater.hot water is coming and then I closed it.
what is the best/easy way to remove/purge the air.
Thank You.

Old 01-08-15, 02:20 PM
S
The 10psi pressure may not be enough , I would suggest raising it to 25 psi until air is purged . Do you have a purge station for each zone ?

Old 01-08-15, 03:04 PM
NJT
IF THE GAUGE IS ACCURATE (read this for more on that: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html ) then you likely do not have enough pressure in the system for starters.

Is your home a single story?

At what TEMPERATURE are you seeing 10 PSI?

Raising the pressure will help, but you may run into problems with the safety relief valve spewing. You should probably also service your expansion tank to prevent this. I would not raise pressure until you know that your expansion tank is working properly.

Read this for more on that (this is assuming that you have the type of expansion tank that looks like a gas grill propane tank):

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Only after you get the pressure to where it should be should you do any bleeding or purging of air.

Old 01-08-15, 05:19 PM
M
I just checked the pressure now, its ~20+. Since last two days as the weather is at low temps, the heat is not getting enough to the house. Yes, the house is a ranch, single story. The temp is not going up from 63, even though I set the thermo stat to 80 as temporary. Yes the expansion tank looks like gas grill propane tank. I tried again.. raising the lever, still temp is not raising after 30-40 mins.

Old 01-08-15, 05:34 PM
J
When I installed my beacon morris twin flows they would not work unless there was monoflow tee's installed to supply the heaters. So if they worked once there must be monoflow tee's installed. If the ceiling below is not finished can you feel the pipes and see if they are hot? Is your heater coil hot. I am not familiar with the lever you raise. I am still betting there is air in the line at the heater, even if there is air at the heater the rest of the loop should still be getting hot water and putting out heat.

Old 01-08-15, 05:45 PM
M
Attached is the gause reading
Name:  gause.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  27.4 KB

Old 01-08-15, 05:48 PM
M
Boiler connections:
Name:  boiler11.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  30.7 KB

Old 01-08-15, 05:52 PM
NJT
Attached is the gause reading
Ummmm... You're reading that RED hand? No... that's not the pressure.

That red hand is simply a 'reminder'... a 'bookmark'... turning that red knob on the front of the gauge will move that red hand to wherever you want it to be to be used as a marker.

That WHITE hand that's broken and laying all the way down is the one you should be reading, but there's clearly no point in that because it's obviously broken.

You have no idea what the pressure in the system is.

Old 01-08-15, 06:07 PM
M
So, I have to buy a new one? I believe its like that since last two years and it was working fine.

Old 01-08-15, 06:20 PM
NJT
So, I have to buy a new one? I believe its like that since last two years and it was working fine.
OK, let me try to explain...

The gauge itself has nothing at all to do with your problem.

But you need to know what the pressure in the boiler is in order to know if the pressure in the boiler is part or all of your problem.

With a broken gauge, you can't know the pressure.

Let's try analogy:

The fuel gauge on you car is broken. It always reads 1/2 tank and never moves.

As long as you have fuel in the car it will run.

One day the car stops running.

You don't know if the reason is no fuel, or something else.

The broken fuel gauge itself didn't stop the car running, but you don't know if it's because you're out of gas because you can't read the broken gauge.

Old 01-08-15, 06:36 PM
M
crystal clear. thanks. I should call a plumber and should replace it as the pressure applies. or can I stop the power and change it with the new one?
For trouble shoot, I sensed some air leak when I opened the vent of the kick space heater. still the fan is not on after all the air is gone. I'm sure, power is there on that line.

Old 01-08-15, 07:03 PM
NJT
You can read the thread I posted earlier about "How To Verify a Boiler Pressure Gauge" and put one together that you can use on a drain valve.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

The fan in the heater will only come on when the water gets hot. If the hot water does not flow to the heater because of air block, the fan will not turn on.

Old 01-18-15, 01:51 PM
M
I have opened valve of kickspace heater and let all the cold water flew out till I sensed that hot water is inside. Thought, it's not working. But the heater started working fine. Thank you guys helping me in trouble shoot and fix the issue... Yet to replace my heater pressure guase as its broken