adding Honeywell V8043E1012 Zone Valves

Old 01-09-15, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding Honeywell V8043E1012 Zone Valves

Hello, its been a while since I was on this forum and I hope all are well.

I have an old Utica boiler/hot water heating system in my home. It is oil fired and works well.

I have had issues with uneven heating over time and no amount of manually adjusting the valves on the three zones seems to be satisfactory. There are three thermostats in the house with wires that run to the boiler room, and only one set is hooked up. I want to add electric valves to the system and hook up all three thermostats.

I have a L7224U 1002 Electronic Aquastat. I am using just one circulator. The manual says to hook all three thermostat wires to the T T terminals on the Aquastat, and that the system will run whenever any one of the three thermostats calls for heat.

I also have a R7184 Interrupted Electronic Oil Primary.

My questions are these: Is the Honeywell zone valve in the title the correct ones for my system? I don't have the valves or install instructions for them yet, so do I need any other relays or anything to make this work? Where do the valves get the current they need to operate?

I appreciate any help.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-15, 09:59 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
The manual says to hook all three thermostat wires to the T T terminals on the Aquastat, and that the system will run whenever any one of the three thermostats calls for heat.
Well... yeah, it would do that... but without the zone valves, what's the point? The entire system will still fire up and heat whenever ONE of the thermostats call...

In a zone valve system, it's not the THERMOSTATS that connect to the aquastat, but rather the ENDSWITCH terminals of the zone valves.

There are two basic ways to wire up zone valves:

1. What I call the "rat's nest" method, where individual wires are run between the zone valves, thermostats, etc, and over to the T T on the boiler. Usually looks like a rat's nest...

2. Using a ZONE CONTROL PANEL, such as a Taco ZVC type. These control panels have terminal strips that the thermostats wire to, the zone valves wire to, and the boiler TT wires. It's a much neater installation and easier to wire. In a new installation, I would always recommend this.

Where do the valves get the current they need to operate?
The valves get their current from a 24VAC source.

In the rat's nest setup, this would be a 24VAC transformer installed on a 4" utility box, wired to 120VAC on the primary side, with terminals on the secondary for the 24VAC connections.

The Taco panel has this transformer built-in. You still need to run 120VAC to the panel though.

Is the Honeywell zone valve in the title the correct ones for my system?
V8043E1012 - Honeywell V8043E1012 - 3/4" Sweat Zone Valve - SupplyHouse.com

Yes, that one will work.

You can also use the " F " version of the valve which has terminal screws rather than lead wires. If you use the Taco panel, running a single 4 conductor cable from each valve to the Taco panel is neater than splicing wires to the red and yellow leads.

V8043F1036 - Honeywell V8043F1036 - 3/4" Sweat Zone Valve (Connection = Terminal Block)

Here's the install instruction link:

http://s3.supplyhouse.com/manuals/13..._PROD_FILE.pdf

Here's the Taco panel, 3 zones...

ZVC403-4 - Taco ZVC403-4 - 3 Zone Valve Control Module with Priority

If you go an extra couple bucks, you'll have a 'spare' channel in case one craps out, or you want to expand in the future:

ZVC404-4 - Taco ZVC404-4 - 4 Zone Valve Control Module with Priority

And the installation instructions:

http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_fi...%20Install.pdf

Old 01-11-15, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trooper:

thanks for all the information ! I really appreciate it.

I think using the panel method seems best and will look the cleanest.

Ed