Problems with radiators ?

Old 01-13-15, 09:18 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problems with radiators ?

So, I'm going to say first that I am only 18, and I'm not very experienced with DIY yet. So if this was discussed I'm sorry but i'm getting desperate. A friend of mine is in an apartment with no heat. I know the lines have to be bled for the rad but when i tried only a small amount of air came out, and no water. the rads are OLD, but they worked before a new valve had to be put in. I know one guy was messing around with it earlier and probably screwed it up more, he found a valve and cranked it to one side. I also know that a little while before the pipe was getting warm to the point were we could grab it, but it wouldn't burn us, unless it was like 2 degrees hotter. Please help me out, My friend is practically freezing to death in her own home and cant do anything to help herself.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-15, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You don't know much about the system and we can't see what you can. Can you take some pictures and post them for us. We can advise best by what we can see.

Also....are you talking about the big iron type radiators..... not baseboards ?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 01-13-15, 09:36 PM
S
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
If you have a hot water system, that means there's water in the rads and not a steam system.
Check your boiler pressure gauge and see what it says. It sounds like there's not enough water in the system. You should have about 15- 20 lbs pressure. He may have taken water out to put the valve in.
If you get the 20 lbs then try to bleed the rads again to see if you get water out.
Do not put all this cold water in if the boiler is hot. Fill slowly so as not to crack the boiler.
When you say you have rads, you mean radiators and not baseboard heat because the bleeding may be different.
You must get all the air out in order to circulate the water for heat.
This should be a good start.
Good Luck,

Old 01-14-15, 03:18 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
If this is rental housing it is the duty of the landlord to make certain you have adequate heat. If you do ANYTHING the landlord can come back on you for any and all troubles with the heating system.

In the US all areas have laws governing minimum heating standards for rental housing. I'm sure that Canada is no different.