Weil-Mclain boiler control help

Old 01-19-15, 06:09 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weil-Mclain boiler control help

So I have a WM HE 2. About 20 years old. Well the boiler quit a couple weeks ago and it appeared to be the control. These controls only seem to last 5-6 years or so. So I bought a 1013-200 WM control online and installed it and used the ''jumper'' in the double connection that I had from the last control. (the new control didn't come with a jumper).

So the boiler worked several days and quit. The place replaced the control and it to only lasted a few days. So I wondered if the jumper might be bad so tried to test it for continunety. (sp?). Did have any so I opened it up and see there's a diode or something in this jumper and I didn't know how to test it with this diode inline.

I am right now using a old United Technologies 1013-100 for heat. This board need no jumper in fact doesn't have to 2 terminal plug for one. I tried to get one of these but was told they don't make them any longer.

Question 1. why are the new controllers failing so soon?

2. Is there any place I can get a new jumper or don't these go bad or not causing these failures.

3. Is there a direct replacement for the United Tech 1013-100?

Thanks a ton for any info anyone can provide. I cant stand it when I cant figure stuff out. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-15, 08:11 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like something is burning or overheating the controller. Maybe voltage or just plain heat from somewhere. I was about to tell you to contact Weil-McClain directly but it appears that they are one of those companies that doesn't have contact information on their website, which annoys me. To me, it shows that they want their customers' money but doesn't want anything to do with them. However, I found the # of what appears to be the parent company, SPX Corp.
704 752 4400

Old 01-19-15, 10:07 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
A homeowner will get ZERO help from either W-M or SPX. Try if you like, but it's pointless IMHO.

Old 01-19-15, 10:44 AM
NJT
What circulator pump is on your system?

All series of HE, HEll and VHE boilers may be equipped with a B & G100 or Taco 110 circulator. These circulators are not compatible with the UT module 1013-200 (kit part number 382-200-448). The UT 1013-200 module is rated for a maximum of 3 amps lock rotor and 2.7 amps full load for the circulator circuit. To allow the B& G100 or the Taco 110 circulator to operate properly, a 120 volt isolation relay with one set of normally open contacts, rated for a minimum 23 amps, lock rotor and 3 amps full load is required. See wiring diagram on page 2. The HE, HEll and VHE with the Taco 007 or the B& GLR20 will work properly with the UT module 1013-200.
http://www.patriot-supply.com/files/382-200-448.pdf

Old 01-19-15, 10:46 AM
NJT
the boiler quit a couple weeks ago and it appeared to be the control.
What exactly does "... quit ..." mean?

Why did it appear to be the control? What symptoms led you to conclude that?

Old 01-19-15, 11:26 AM
C
By quit, I mean when the tstat calls for heat I get nothing. The green power light on the controller is own but nothing else happens.

I do you know how closed this company is to helping. I tried to buy just parked at my local supply store and they would not even sell it to me. That's why I had to go online to buy it.

Old 01-19-15, 01:26 PM
NJT
What circulator pump is on your system?
Do you have multiple zones on your system?

Old 01-19-15, 01:33 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
A homeowner will get ZERO help from either W-M or SPX. Try if you like, but it's pointless IMHO.
Zero help from a manufacturer would mark the end of doing business with them.

Old 01-19-15, 01:55 PM
NJT
Zero help from a manufacturer would mark the end of doing business with them.
I understand their reasons for only wanted to provide technical support to professional contractors.

If you were in their position with a company to protect, you would too.

Let's face the truth here... the vast majority of homeowners really haven't got a clue.

Suppose they gave some good advice to a homeowner who didn't understand, or misinterpreted what they were told, and they wind up dead? L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y .... big law suit.

I even get nervous here for the same reasons.

Old 01-19-15, 02:43 PM
C
I have Taco circulators. My boiler has two zones however when I had the system installed, I had the firm put in a series of ball valves to allow my system to run off just one thermostat and act as one zone. I have never used the vales to throw my system into the two zone set up. So actually the one pump has never had to run.

Old 01-19-15, 05:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I understand their reasons for only wanted to provide technical support to professional contractors.
There is no contact info for contractors either. They want to save every dime that can. I worked with a guy who always said that the definition of Weil-McClain was "see you in 8 years." The OP is lucky that his boiler lasted for 20.

Old 01-19-15, 05:11 PM
NJT
I worked with a guy who always said that the definition of Weil-McClain was "see you in 8 years."
That's funny!...............................................