35 ppm CO from boiler

Old 01-20-15, 09:40 AM
35 ppm CO from boiler

I have a CO detector that shows the max parts per million, instead of just sounding an alarm. It sits about 2 feet from the draft hood (and about 4 feet off the ground), which is new within the last 2 years.

I got this due to a chimmney liner guy coming over and telling me that I needed two new liners: 1 for main fireplace and another for the boiler/water heater combo. Instead of forking out 6 grand for this, I bought a 50.00 CO detector to see if I really needed a new liner or not for the boiler. I was fine end of last winter. I actually thought the unit was broken as it showed zero everytime I looked.

Now I am somewhat concerned and think this 35 number represents my boiler is off in some way. Maybe needs a cleaning or tune up or? Is this a normal number and normal type of situation? This is my question and reason for the post. Thanks for any info and education.

FYI - I did move the unit upstairs from the basement and am letting it read there for a few days, to test the level in the living areas. So far its zero. I also have other units, but they just sound the alarm at something like 150ppm, and dont have the digital readout of max ppm.

Thanks to everyone.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-15, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are getting any CO, it isn't good. I would strongly suggest getting the boiler checked by a qualified local service company. Be sure to ask if they have a digital CO instrument when you call.

Old 01-20-15, 08:15 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
Using the atmospheric CO monitor in that manner tells me that you have a draft problem. It could be from several different causes.

Old 01-22-15, 12:24 PM
I placed the monitor about 15 ft away from the boiler and about 4ft off the ground. After a few hours it read 16. I also looked at the vent hood and see that the pipe from the hot water heater was pulled out of the wall by an inch or so. Not flush, and not sealed.I pushed it back in but its not real good. The boiler pipe was also not sealed, though it was pulled out very slightly. I am planning tonight to remove the pipes, clear any debris that may be in the pipe or wall and reseal/refasten, whatever the proper terminology. My question today is does this seem like a good DIY first step? Also, what is used to attach/fasten the pipes to the wall? It looks like bondo. Or is there nothing really special, and a good quality sealant will do? Comments on this??

Attached image shows it, moreso for the boiler pipe (bottom) than the hotwater heater pipe(top).

Guys I very much appreciate the advice here. Thanks to both of you so far.

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-15, 12:37 PM
NJT
Upvotes Received: 1
Regular caulk is not the proper stuff, you need high heat material.

Something like this would probably be the easiest to dispense...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8DQH2KH7TRSN7Z

http://www.amazon.com/18854-Stove-Fi...5PXG2WVC2B71RQ

Old 01-22-15, 03:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The stuff around the pipes is furnace cement.
The products Trooper listed would certainly work. You can probably get a quart or 1/2 gallon tub at your local home center or maybe plumbing supply house. You can also use the red, high temp silicone which is available at most hardware or automotive stores.