Combination boiler opinions

Old 01-22-15, 04:58 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Combination boiler opinions

Parents currently have a Van Wert multi therm oil/wood boiler which is 30 years old and needs replacing. Chimney only has one flue, so they are limited to either going back to a combination unit or a designated wood boiler and power vent oil unit. Just polling you guys for opinions on which way they should go, and what might be out there for combination units or otherwise. Either way I think they should go to an indirect water heater vice the boiler supplied water.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-15, 05:09 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
30 years old and needs replacing
Why? ...................................................

Old 01-23-15, 05:50 AM
N
Because the water jacket is rusting, as is the coil inside the firebox. Both have already been patched from leaks.

Old 01-23-15, 07:43 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I guess that's a good reason!

I'm not 'up' on the wood/oil combi units, so don't really have anything to offer, sorry...

Doesn't Buderus have one? Let me look.

Old 01-23-15, 11:42 AM
My Multitherm has been running for 30 years. The heating coil is not in the fire box... in is inserted in the water chamber above the fire box.

The weak point of the design is gasket leaks, which allow water to rot the mounting studs for the heating coil steel mounting plate, and also allow water the reach the rear steel combustion chamber for the oil burner assembly. It is a real mess if not caught in time.

Pete

Old 01-23-15, 12:01 PM
N
That's what I meant Pete. A few years ago, it was the jacket on the back that was leaking, so it was welded up, now a month or so ago it was the coil. It's been a decent unit, but at this point I think it's reached the end of its life.

There are a few issues that are funky and I think it's the installation/system, and not a problem with the unit itself, but you can have the temp up to 180 with the wood fire, no thermostat call for heat or anything, and the oil will kick on which doesn't make sense. Does yours do this?