Changing zone valves

Old 01-24-15, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing zone valves

Hi I'm trying to figure out zone valves, <I have to replace one>. I had a new boiler installed 5 years ago and I'm still using the zone valves from the old boiler, what happens is when the zone valves close it makes a screeching noise or it slams everytime it shuts down. I manually leave one zone open to avoid this, on the cover of the zone valve it says 10 PSI, the boiler runs or is supposed to run at 12.5 PSI most of the time its higher. Will I cure this problem if I go to a higher PSI on the zone valve rating? My next question is when buying replacement zone vales do I look for the same rating as on the old one only higher PSI, it seems to be hard to find Erie Controls, the info on the top says 7/16 port DPD 10 PSI, 24V 50/60HZ 2way System PSI 300 Watt6.5 could you help???????

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-15, 11:29 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
what happens is when the zone valves close it makes a screeching noise or it slams everytime it shuts down.
This is pretty typical of a zone valve installed backward.

on the cover of the zone valve it says 10 PSI,
That's most likely the pressure at which the zone valve will remain closed, NOT the operating pressure of the valve.

the boiler runs or is supposed to run at 12.5 PSI most of the time its higher.
12-15 PSI is the minimum pressure when the boiler is COLD. It will (has to be) higher when the boiler is hot and the water has expanded due to being heated.

on the top says 7/16 port DPD 10 PSI, 24V 50/60HZ 2way System PSI 300 Watt6.5 could you help?
Can you post a picture of the valve? There's no model number there...

Again, that 10 PSI is a DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE and you should not have to be concerned with that at all.

Old 01-24-15, 11:32 AM
NJT
It's not hard to find Erie zone valves...

but that 7/16" is an EXTREMELY ODD number...

Erie - SupplyHouse.com

Either 1/2" or 3/4" is what we usually find in residential zone valves. I don't even know that they even make one in 7/16" ... that may be referring to some internal dimension.

Old 01-24-15, 11:35 AM
NJT
By the way, not just ONE picture of the valve itself, but pictures all the way around the boiler so we can determine if the valve is in fact installed backward.

There should be a 'flow arrow' on the brass body part.

Old 01-24-15, 12:06 PM
Hermie1956

I can't figure out how to post a picture on here. I went and checked the other zone valves and one didn't have a tag the other did. The # on the top on two of them is 0767C0008GAO1 one of them also has the # 0184. The other one with the tag on also says 5/8 IFL MOPD 10 PSI

Old 01-24-15, 12:17 PM
NJT
At the top of the compose window there is an icon that looks like a picture frame with a tree in it, third from the right on my screen. Click that and follow instructions...

Look at the inside of the cover as well... no numbers there?

OK, zeroes must be zeroes, and Ohs, must be Ohs...

0767C0008GA01 has been

REPLACED BY BOTH VT2343 (VALVE BODY) AND AG13A02A (ACTUATOR).

The control head:

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Erie-AG13...r-w-End-Switch

The actuator:

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Erie-VT23...ve-Body-3-5-Cv

The two together:

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Erie-VT23...-5-CV-w-Switch

images courtesy supplyhouse.com

But before you order anything, make sure the valve is not simply installed backward. Your valves appear to be of the 'inverted flare' variety and should be able to be removed and turned around quite easily.

Old 01-24-15, 12:18 PM
Hermie1956

I went down and checked, the zone valves and the actuator part of the valve is towards the boiler on the outlet pipe.

Old 01-24-15, 12:33 PM
NJT
I went down and checked, the zone valves and the actuator part of the valve is towards the boiler on the outlet pipe.
You mean that the arrow on the valve body is on the outlet pipe and it is pointing toward the boiler?

If you are sure it's the outlet pipe then it's backwards.

Old 01-24-15, 12:35 PM
Hermie1956

For some reason it will not let me upload the picture and there is no number on the inside of the covers

Old 01-24-15, 12:38 PM
NJT
By the way, if you do in fact have the inverted flare type of connection, you should see this:

sticking out both ends of the valve.

Please post pics.............'

Oh... won't let you post them? What does it say?

In that case, go back and look at the pics I've pasted into the other messages... is that what you have?

Old 01-24-15, 12:40 PM
Hermie1956

I can' find an arrow on the valve body, the actuator part is closest to the boiler. Would the arrow be on top of the valve body?

Old 01-24-15, 12:43 PM
NJT
I can' find an arrow on the valve body, the actuator part is closest to the boiler. Would the arrow be on top of the valve body?
I'm looking at the install sheet for them now.

Does one side have the letter " A " and the other " B " ?

Flow is from B to A ...

Are all your valves installed in the same direction?

Sure wish you could post the pics... what does it tell you why you can't post them?

Old 01-24-15, 12:45 PM
Hermie1956

On the ones that I have I just have female threads, I don't remember if thats what I screwed into the valve body or not.

Old 01-24-15, 12:48 PM
NJT

The longer 'snout' to the left is the "B" port, the INLET.

In this pic the flow is from left to right.

Old 01-24-15, 12:51 PM
Hermie1956

Ill take a mirrow and see if I can see on top of them. When it asked me if want to up load from my computer or url I hit computer and I choose a file hit up load and it tells me the picture cannot be uploaded. Yes they are all mounted in the same direction.

Old 01-24-15, 01:13 PM
Hermie1956

The makings are on the bottom and on the outlet side closest to the boiler is A thery have been hooked up backward for then for 34 years. When I had the Weil Mclain boiler installed they never made a noise and those people installed them. then that boiler was getting old <still worked > and I had a new one put in <Knight Lochinvar> and it started making that barking noise, I complained and complained and they came in and added an extra circulating pump and put a loop in the piping telling me the z.valves shut down and the main pump has no where to go with the water and it slams against the valve. I will have to turn them around and see what happens. I still have to get one Z.valve it's not working,<I called the heating contractor two weeks ago to replace it and it's still not done. I have it wired open to get heat downstairs.

Old 01-24-15, 01:13 PM
NJT
tells me the picture cannot be uploaded.
Maybe pic is too large... there's a limit to the size... I forget what it is.

they are all mounted in the same direction.
they have been hooked up backward for then for 34 years.
Yeah, it happens.

You're sure you know which is really the hot supply OUTLET of the boiler, right?

Maybe the old pump wasn't as 'healthy' as the new one and with less water pressure they didn't hammer...

Old 01-24-15, 01:19 PM
NJT
One more possibility...

The old boiler was connected so that they WERE in the correct direction and they reversed the flow when they installed the new boiler.

Gee, I hope they have the flow correct through the boiler!

Old 01-24-15, 01:25 PM
Hermie1956

Sorry about the bad spelling I got in a hurry, I went and double checked on the pipe that comes out of the boiler marked outlet that goes in the zone valve on the A side which is the short side of the Valve. So would this be backwards?

Old 01-24-15, 01:32 PM
Hermie1956

That's what I thought also as far as old boiler vs new, I've had nothing but problems with this boiler from the get go.

Old 01-24-15, 01:39 PM
NJT
So would this be backwards?
Sure sounds like it to me.

You better also check that the pump is flowing in the correct direction and they didn't also reverse the flow through the boiler.

Old 01-24-15, 01:40 PM
Hermie1956

How can I tell if the flow through the boiler is correct? The boiler has two pipes coming out of it one marked inlet and one marked outlet , If I understand this right the inlet would be for the cold water side and the outlet would be for the hotwater side correct? should the z.valve be at the end of the loop or the beginning?

Old 01-24-15, 01:52 PM
NJT
If I understand this right the inlet would be for the cold water side and the outlet would be for the hotwater side correct?
Yes, correct. Inlet is the water returning from the radiators, outlet is hot water going out.

should the z.valve be at the end of the loop or the beginning?
Doesn't really matter... it's done both ways.

Look for the system pump, there will definitely be an arrow on that for flow direction.

Old 01-24-15, 01:53 PM
Hermie1956

I went down and checked the arrows on the pumps , the pump on the inlet pipe shows the arrow pointing towards the boiler the pump on the outlet pipe shows the arrow going away from the boiler toward the z.valves the A side <short side>. So this is telling me the z.valves are backwards if I understand this right.

Old 01-24-15, 01:57 PM
NJT
the pump on the inlet pipe shows the arrow pointing towards the boiler the pump on the outlet pipe
Wait a minute...

I just realized you did say that they came back and installed a second pump... I meant to ask about this before but forgot...

You have pump on INLET AND OUTLET of boiler? WTH? I don't know what they were thinking...

I'd REALLY like to see a BUNCH of pics of this install. Try this instead of posting the pics here:

Set up a FREE ACCOUNT as Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing and upload your pics to a PUBLIC album there.

Come back here and paste a link to that album for us to view the pics.

It sounds like your guys didn't know what they were doing.

Old 01-24-15, 02:03 PM
Hermie1956

I will turn them around and see what happens, and let you know
Thank you for the help
Hermie1956

Old 01-24-15, 02:14 PM
Hermie1956

Yes they installed a second pump, they also made a loop between the inlet and the outlet so when the z-valve closed and the main pump kept running and it could circulate untill it cooled down and shut down and it would not be pushing a dead head and then this was supposed to stop the z-valves from making that noise. It didn't work. I will some how get you pictures of this install, hold on it will make you cringe at the workmanship. I have to go right now but I will get back to ASAP.