Lochinvar Knight KBN 105 boiler trouble

Old 02-06-15, 05:31 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lochinvar Knight KBN 105 boiler trouble

I have a previous thread on here but it was closed. I purchased a Lochinvar Knight KBN-105 boiler. Not long after my boiler was installed at the end of 2007, I have had nothing but trouble with "GV relay fail" faults which only sometimes can be reset with the reset button. The tech who installed it replaced the wiring harness twice, but that was, of course, not the problem.I have been struggling with this for years. He says it is not the gas valve, either, even though he has never tried replacing it.I contacted Lochinvar, but they have been no help at all and ask that my tech contact them. He had, apparently, but was not any wiser from the experience. He has been here many, many times over the years and has either only pressed the reset button or screwed in and out the little screw that attaches the wiring harness to the gas valve. Good thing I didn't have to pay for that as it was still under warranty! Later on, I occasionally got "Sensor 1 open" faults which always reset when the button was pushed. This past week, I get alternating "Gv relay fail" and "Fan speed high". I am no longer able to reset these and am currently without heat. This problem has been very frustrating for me as the unit costed me a lot of money for what seems to be a lemon. The warranty has expired by now, of course, and I haven't heard from the tech I contacted for a couple of years now (not that he had a clue what was wrong with it anyway) Any ideas on what is wrong with this thing? The manual says GV relay fail could be due to the gas valve wiring harness, the gas valve, or the main control board. I suspect the three faults I have been getting are all related to one issue and fear I need an expensive new main control board that I cannot afford. I hope I am wrong in my suspicions. Of course, the warranty has expired due to the ineptitude of the only tech for Lochinvar in the area and the lack of help from the manufacturer.
Thanks for any and all help you can give me....

Old 02-06-15, 05:42 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I see that your old thread had quite a few 'me too' posts tagged on to it before it was closed.

I do believe that LV has a problem with these, and KNOWS they have a problem with these, and should be up front about it instead of pretending cluelessness.

What would I do if I were in your position?

Find a competent tech and have them call LV and PUSH FOR A REMEDY. Not 'cave in' and say Oh, OK, and hang up the phone. He should insist that a company rep be sent to inspect the installation.

If that doesn't work, thoroughly document (I do hope you have kept accurate records!) all of the service calls that you've had to pay for, and retain an attorney to write them a letter... sent REGISTERED so you know they received it... use the "L" word... maybe they'll come around.

How to get it fixed in the meantime? I would say that the best way is going to be to find a competent tech, and yes, I know that's easier said than done.

I wish I had better advice for you...

Old 03-06-15, 06:14 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
UPDATE!!!! KBN 105 GV Relay Fail and Fan Speed High

Well, it is time that I let everyone know what has happened! I tried a new HVAC guy with very little experience with Lochinvar and got positive results.The "Fan Speed High" problem and the "GV Relay Fail" problem were not related. The Fan speed problem was solved by changing the ventor assembly (ventor motor). That part costed me $790.00. The GV Relay Fail trouble was, unfortunately, the main control board as I suspected, and costed $890.00 just for the part. The main control board has been installed for two weeks now and no more GV Relay Fails SO FAR. Though I am now broke, I believe the boiler may finally be fixed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: