High pressure even when boiler off

Old 02-07-15, 06:16 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
High pressure even when boiler off

Hi,
The pressure relief valve on my boiler has always leaked a little, maybe one bucket I have to empty every 3-4 weeks in winter (Quebec City, Canada = cold). Today I bleeded a radiator that was heating only on the bottom, as I do sometimes (every 1-2 years).
The relief valve then leaked a lot... I stopped the boiler, but the pressure would not go down even after everything cooled down. Still 30psi (limit of the relief valve)... Only way to have the pressure go down is to open the relief valve until I get around 10-15psi. But after that pressure goes high again, up to 30psi (boiler still off).
I have an autofill pressure reducing valve supposed to be set to 12-15psi, but the only way to prevent pressure going up is to completely close the filling circuit. I have an Exprol 15 expansion tank, which seems OK (not full of water).
Any advise to set back the whole thing right? Is it OK to go back to 15psi then close the autofill valve and adjust pressure manually every day for example. I plan to get rid of the boiler anyway in a few months for other reasons, so I would not want to spend too much on a a repair/replacement job.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-15, 06:46 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Is it OK to go back to 15psi then close the autofill valve and adjust pressure manually every day for example.
No problem with that as long as you check it frequently. Every day would be fine.

I have an Exprol 15 expansion tank, which seems OK (not full of water).
How do you know it's not full of water?

The 'tap test' is a useless old internet superstition that will never go away. It is NOT an accurate way of assessing the tank has the proper air charge, or is or is not full of water.

Read this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Old 02-07-15, 07:09 PM
G
Thanks a lot, I'll keep on checking...
Regarding the tank,... That's OK, I'll forget about the superstition! This came from all I read on the subject tonight, thanks for the enlightning reference. :-)
So I closed the filling valve, purged down to about 13 psi and put the system back on. It seems to now run well, temperature 180F, pressure a little bit over 20psi, still rising a little bit but very slowly.
Odd thing is the relief pressure valve still slightly leaking (one drop every 2s). Maybe the valve did not set back completely tight after all of this. I'll keep on checking.
Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-07-15, 07:15 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
It could be that the relief valve is leaking... yeah... of course it's leaking... I guess I mean defective...

You may also have issue with the pressure gauge, read this too:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

Sometimes if you pull the handle up on the relief valve and let is 'SNAP!' shut it stops the leak, but count on replacing it if it won't stop leaking.

Last edited by NJT; 02-07-15 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-07-15, 07:30 PM
G
OK, will try that when it has cooled down. Thanks!