Field Control GVD 7PL 7 Automatic Vent Damper F

Old 02-17-15, 06:39 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Field Control GVD 7PL 7 Automatic Vent Damper F

About 15 years ago, I had the boiler replaced in our "new" home. During the installation process, an Automatic Vent Damper was installed on the exhaust duct to improve efficiency. Now, after 15 years, it has appeared to have "petered out". I purchased a new on over the internet, and installed it last night. (Luckily, it was "plug and play" with the existing wire harness.) However it is still not working properly. Initially, before it was replaced, the boiler would completely shut down. Pilot and all. I first tried to turn the breaker off and on. Nothing. Then I hit the little switch on top of the Automatic Vent Duct Motor and the furnace would kick on. That is how I concluded, something may be wrong with the AVD. Well, once I replaced the AVD, the boiler kicked right on and warmed up the house. However, once the house was warm and the water in the tank and pipes cooled, it did not automatically come back on. I attempted to "flick" the switch like I did on the one I replaced which, after a few flicks, the boiler would come on. However, with the new model, it did not. But, if I pinched the "shaft" of the damper and attempted to give it a twist, the slightest movement of the shaft turned on the boiler. Any ideas??? thank you!

Old 02-17-15, 12:11 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Any ideas?
Yes... I have ideas and most of them involve words I can't use here... about a particular company and the quality that I've seen in their vent dampers.

The 'microswitches' that they are using now are complete and total JUNK.

I too have seen OUT OF BOX FAILURES, and have done failure analysis and every single time, the problem is with the microswitches.

The last brand new one that I took out of the box I tested the internal microswitches BEFORE INSTALLING IT, and they were ALREADY FLAKY.

I've given up on it. It is now clamped permanently OPEN. The hell with the savings... what savings are there if you have to replace the motor assembly every year? NONE! In fact, probably a LOSS! and your money is going into some execs golden parachute fund.

before it was replaced, the boiler would completely shut down. Pilot and all.
This is NOT a boiler with a 'standing pilot' I presume? It has an electric spark ignitor?

I ask this because I can't think of a way a vent damper would put out a standing pilot.

Old 02-17-15, 12:19 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
The following may be pertinent. I believe that Field purchased Effikal. They probably got the company at a bargain price after this excrement hit the oscillating air movement device.

And guess what? It's PROBABLY due to junk microswitches!

I'm sure that Field uhhhh... redesigned ... cough ... the units before putting them back on the market. They probably can't pose the same risk of CO killings, at least I hope not, but the fact remains that those little switches are junk.

Gas Vent Dampers Recalled by Effikal Due to Carbon Monoxide Hazard | CPSC.gov

By the way, there are THREE of the microswitches inside. They ride on a stepped 'cam' that opens and closes them in sequence. By 'wiggling' that shaft, you are also wiggling the actuator on the switches. Based on what you've described, I'm certain that this is the issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: