Flow check valve removed

Old 02-17-15, 04:40 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flow check valve removed

Hi -
First time caller.
I have an older home in New England that has an updated oil heating system (buderus/riello forced hot water).

This past weekend I inadvertently broke the inline flow check valve in one of the circulators while troubleshooting a non-heating zone (main floor) in my home.

I reinstalled the taco without the valve and some time later noted that the main floor was at 74 degrees while the thermostat was at 68. From what I can see downstairs the pump is not running and the zone is not calling since set temp is below current. (I stared at the control box for a while to make sure the zone light was not coming on - it didnt for as long as I was down there)
Even with the set temp rolled down to 60, pipes/baseboard are warm and the kicker in the kitchen switches on occasionally.

My thought is that without the valve, the zone is getting flow from the other circulators or/and some sort of convection current.

My questions are around any issues or reasons why I should not or cannot leave it like this for the interim or forever.
And of course am I overlooking something that is a cause or issue.

Thanks in advance -

Old 02-17-15, 05:11 PM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
You need the flow check for reasons which are now obvious. Your getting either or bith Gravity flow and/or flow from another circulator. The toe kick in the kitchen switches on when water temperature is above a set point, which the unwanted flow is providing.

Old 02-17-15, 05:20 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
My thought is that without the valve, the zone is getting flow from the other circulators or/and some sort of convection current.
Sounds very logical, but we'd need a sketch of the system to really understand what is going on. But, evidently the removal of the flow check is causing the heat in that zone to run too warm even when there is no call for heat. I personally wouldn't want to leave that situation indefinitely - though it is mainly a comfort issue and maybe a bit of fuel usage issue.

Old 02-17-15, 05:44 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
B,
The flocheck is there to stop unwanted flow into a particular zone. The force of the pump opens the flocheck and let's hot water into that zone on a call for heat.
Without the flocheck you will get gravity flow through that zone whenever anything else calls.
Your only recourse is to get another check valve for the pump or you can install a seperately one one the supply for that zone.
As far as extra fuel goes I wouldn't think so. In fact it may be less because chances are that zone will never call, being heated every time another zone calls.
It's strickly a comfort factor.

Old 02-17-15, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Hi Baldguy & welcome to the forums.
Yes, you are getting 'ghost flow'. I don't know if repalcement checks are available or not but if you can find one, you need to replace it. If you don't you are going to get heat in that zone anytime the boiler is hot.

Old 02-17-15, 06:49 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Old 02-17-15, 06:55 PM
G
As far as extra fuel goes I wouldn't think so. In fact it may be less because chances are that zone will never call, being heated every time another zone calls.
It's strickly a comfort factor.
Nope, it's mainly a comfort factor, but not "strickly".

The total Btus that need to be added to the house via fuel, over a season or other time period, is exactly equal to the heat loss from the house. If one room or zone is running at a higher temp than needed or wanted, the heat loss will be greater. Do a heat-loss calc for the zone in question.

Q.E.D.

Old 02-18-15, 07:34 PM
B
Thanks much for all the input.
I am more worried about 'breaking' something with the current hacked setup.

I will take a look around and see if I can figure out a heat-loss calc, but it seems like this is not necessarily going to cause additional (constant) cycles/calls to the boiler.
That is really what I was worried about, some additional wear on something that I was not aware of.

The house is horribly non-insulated, and that has been on the list for a while. Might actually occur at the end of this season.

Again, appreciate the input all around.

Old 02-18-15, 07:51 PM
B
And for the curious -
It is a pretty straightforward setup.
Please forgive my first attempt at diagramming - pretty sure pumps are triangles of some sort.
All of the zones are simple loops.
Outbound is a manifold just prior to the pumps.
Return is a manifold right next to the outbound.

1 is the main floor.
2 is a sunroom on the main floor that we keep set at a lower temp and keep the door closed for the most part.
The rest are 2nd floor for bedrooms, office, bath which are kept at varying points based on calendar and time of day.

Peace -

Attached Images  
Old 02-19-15, 07:43 AM
G
When all the pumps are idle, there will be gravity flow through the pump w/o a check valve. When one or more of the other pumps are running, there can be reverse flow through the pump w/o a check valve.

Buy a replacement IFC and install it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: