wmoda --- Taco 007-F5 Circulator

Old 02-21-15, 11:04 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wmoda --- Taco 007-F5 Circulator

I have a 2 zone system Boiler/forced hot air. one unit in basement (first floor), one unit in attic (second floor) - I have no heat on second floor. Thermostat is calling for heat and I hear pump click on and can hear the motor running (I compared both zones and they turn on and sound the same). Below circulator is hot. Above circulator is hot and tapers off further up I feel. Return is not hot (Again I compared to my other zone which goes out hot and comes back at a high temp as well). So Circulator cartridge is a best guess? During the day I have my heat down upstairs to 55 degrees. It has been Damn cold here in MA, Is it possible that if the upstairs was not calling for heat for a long time that the pipes in my attic could be frozen? It sounds crazy to me but I can't think of anything else....I have also read that if it is the circulator, and the pump is running to replace the cartridge... Thoughts?

Old 02-21-15, 11:43 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
So Circulator cartridge is a best guess? During the day I have my heat down upstairs to 55 degrees. It has been Damn cold here in MA, Is it possible that if the upstairs was not calling for heat for a long time that the pipes in my attic could be frozen?
Your issue is most likely not with the circulator pump, but rather with either an AIR blockage in that zone, or a FROZEN PIPE.

It sounds crazy to me but I can't think of anything else.
Why does it sound crazy? Do you EVER remember it being this cold?

Happens all the time, especially when the wx gets this cold and folks are in the habit of turning the heat down...

When wx is this cold it is best to leave the heat up and prevent frozen pipes... repairing frozen pipes is MUCH more costly than saving 50 cents worth of fuel.

Old 02-21-15, 12:11 PM
W
Ok...So not so Crazy! : ) I installed Nests and the low temp got away from me... Well it will get to 40 degrees tomorrow so Maybe I can get a thaw. Any suggestions to help this along....Just get a heater maybe? Would there be any other explanation. I only ask because I had an issue 5-6 years back with no heat...Can't remember what it was exactly but the plumber said that the guy that serviced my boiler had either shut off, or something was wrong with the water feeder or replenisher? I would imagine that would effect all the heat in the whole house correct and not just one zone?

Old 02-21-15, 12:24 PM
NJT
It COULD be an air blockage, but given what you've said about turning down to 55 and the extreme cold, I believe that frozen is more likely.

Air can block zones as good as a cork in the pipe, and occurs when the pressure in the boiler drops too low... and due to the water feeder not replenishing the pressure.

You better hope that the pipe has not RUPTURED, because if it has, when it does thaw, you're looking at a floody mess, and you will have NO HEAT in the entire home...

Old 02-21-15, 12:29 PM
W
Fingers crossed I guess....I will be standing by to shut off the main. If I close down the shut off from the boiler to that zone I will only have that amount of water to contend with...And because of gravity I think any where above the second floor ceiling should not be frozen...Safe assumption or am I just dreaming? : )

Old 02-21-15, 01:13 PM
W
NJ Trooper, you are truly wise! Must have been a little slush in the line...Heat is restored...No leaks. Thanks!

Old 02-21-15, 02:21 PM
NJT
you are truly wise!
Most of my friends suffix that with a three letter word!

Keep the heat turned up until we're out of the FRO-ZONE ...

Old 02-21-15, 03:05 PM
W
Thanks again and will do!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: