Frost on tankless propane water heater

Old 02-23-15, 06:15 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frost on tankless propane water heater

Quiet Side DPW120A tankless water heater

There is frost on top right corner of the unit at the combustion are intake. Is that normal.? It's below 0 out if that matters. I have a HVAC coming tomorrow to descale due to error code. I just want to have other opinions on if that is normal or not when I ask about it. They just came last week to fix it from another error code.. And found that the dip switch was never changed to propane after it was converted. Now I had error code A5 and the Quiet side tech said it needs descaling. The heat exchanger had to be cleaned and now every time it sounds different to me I go in room to see if there is a code on. So I see frost on it while its running and want to know if its normal..

Last edited by PJmax; 02-24-15 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added model number to text
Old 02-24-15, 06:34 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never worked on those type of water heaters but frost doesn't sound normal. How is the area vented?

Old 02-24-15, 06:40 AM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know 'normal', but with freezing cold air getting sucked in, I could certainly imagine that the area could get cold enough to frost over...

Old 02-24-15, 08:19 AM
T
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I agree with Troop, I have a small draft on the front door sash, if I don't cover it with a towel I get a line of frost inside where it bleeds into the house. Yes, it's that cold this year!!!

Old 02-24-15, 10:41 AM
G
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Propane becomes colder as it vaporizes from a liquid. Some commercial or industrial users have heaters for their propane tanks to maintain temperature and vaporization rates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: