WeilMclean boiler goes into hard lockout

Old 02-24-15, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink WeilMclean boiler goes into hard lockout

Hi all,
i keep getting "hard lockout" on my brand new R7284, every time "CAD CELL" 1045ohm. Burner tech has checked oil pump pressure and for any leakage, doesn't see anything wrong, that's when i bought another R7284. its a WeilMclean with a Becket burner. it can run for several hours but never gets through the night. is the default setup ok or do i need to make some changes? i tried 2 minutes on the "Burner Off Delay", was set at 0, still locking out. the description in the manual is not great, i'm wondering if the boiler tries to restart within a couple seconds after shutting off and there's still a small fire it locksout so i think if a delay the start and if there is a small flame it might go out during the time delay? it is set for "boiler". i read in other comments the CAD CELL is more around 500-600 ohm? my last 10 cycle and Baseline are both about 1050 ohm. The tech adjusted the air intake as the cad cell previously had 1600+ ohm and said that over 1600 would cause it to lockout. he's not sure what to do that's when i bought another R7284. thanks for any help.

Becket

Separated from... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...ut-issues.html

Last edited by PJmax; 02-24-15 at 03:36 PM. Reason: started new thread
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-15, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cad cell of 1045 should be ok but I like to see them below 800. 500-600 or so is better but 800 will do.

If the burner has a solenoid on the pump, I've seen them fail to open. The problem is usually in the cord instead of the solenoid itself.

Old 02-25-15, 09:05 AM
i don't believe it has a solenoid. the tech put a pressure gauge on it and said it looked ok and that sometimes a seal can fail and cause fuel to drip into the burner when its off and then when it lights it burns off that fuel as well causing a high cad cell reading. thanks for any help.

becket

Old 02-25-15, 01:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most of the time high cad cell readings are due to: Too much air on the burner, cad cell not positioned right, air tube dirty, end cone dirty (will also cause a bad flame), or a bad connection either at the cad cell socket, the connection at the primary, or if there are joints in the cad cell wiring.

Old 02-26-15, 06:08 AM
The cad cell was replaced to include the wires back to the R7284. The tech must be missing something, it seems he checked all you've mentioned. I notice the "ignition time" is set at 15 seconds and if it doesn't light during that time it "locks out", is there any harm in increasing that time? This has happened a few times when I reset, it times out, it may take a couple three times but it eventually starts. Maybe I should try another tech?

Thanks,
Becket

Old 02-26-15, 06:47 AM
I don't see were the tech used instruments to find problem , if the burner is not set up properly first it is very hard to diagnose . Some models of the Beckett burner had a very small hole in the tabulator plate to let the light from the flame to shine through for the cad cell to see and if the cell was not perfectly lined up to it the burner would lock out . Beckett solved that problem by replacing the hole with a large glass window to allow the cad to see the flame .

Old 02-26-15, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it locks out when you reset it, that would normally eliminate the cad cell unless the burner actually fires. This leads me to believe there is an ignition problem. Could be a transformer. Electrodes set properly? Nozzle is correct for the boiler?
Can you post a couple of pictures of the burner?

Old 02-26-15, 10:40 AM
i had the boiler cleaned and tuned up. i'm getting aprx. 1050 ohm from the cad cell so i don't think i'm having an issue with it seeing the fire but worth checking out. The times when i reset the lockout and it doesn't even light, just counts down and locks out again.
Thanks

Old 02-26-15, 10:43 AM
i did see the tech check the xfmr and the electrodes. i'll take some pic's tonight.

thanks,

Old 02-26-15, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The times when i reset the lockout and it doesn't even light, just counts down and locks out again.
Does the motor run? If not, you have a motor problem.

Old 02-27-15, 08:53 AM
Good point,i need to be sure. it's usually around 2 am when it happens so.....

thanks,