flame out of sequence

Old 02-25-15, 08:04 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flame out of sequence

My oil burner has 3 zones and 3 separate circulators. 2 of the zones work fine: when heat is called for the circulator starts and the furnace ignites. When the third one calls for heat, the circulator starts but the furnace does not ignite and I can watch the temperature go to zero as the water is circulated through the radiator of that zone. When a thermostat in another zone calls for heat, the furnace starts and the water heats up normally and I get an error code: flame out of sequence.
The oil primary control is a Honeywell R7284.
I have replaced the thermostat in the problem zone so it is not that.
What should I look at next?
Thanks

Old 02-25-15, 09:56 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would look at the control board next.

Old 02-25-15, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since you have a boiler and not a furnace I moved your thread to the boiler forum.

The R7284 has one set of TT terminals on it meaning it responds the same to any call for heat in any zone. So I doubt it's the problem.

What are you using to control your circulators ? Some kind of zone control board ?

A few pictures of your setup would be helpful too. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 02-25-15, 11:13 AM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Make / model of the boiler?

What aquastat is installed on it?

As PJ has asked, how are the circulators being controlled? What relays are being used, and how are they wired to the boiler?

Old 02-25-15, 11:23 AM
NJT
It's possible that you have two issues coincidentally.

The fact that 2 zones fire the boiler and 1 does not is probably a separate issue from the flame out of sequence (which your SURE is three flashes of the LED?)

Last edited by NJT; 03-01-15 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 02:26 PM
E
follow up to replies

Thanks for the quick replies.
Each circulator is controlled by a separate thermostat located in different rooms.
The boiler unit is a Slant Fin XL2000 and there are 2 other electrical units on the wall. One is a Honeywell RA89A and the other just says Honeywell.
I assume the error is flame out of sequence because the Honeywell R7284 says push the up or down arrow for errors and when I do, the green light flashes 3 times and repeats. There is a list of error codes and number 3 is flame out of sequence. After another zone fires the boiler the error code disappears, but until that happens the green light stays on.
I will try to post pictures. Is there any other information you need?

Old 03-01-15, 02:55 PM
NJT
As I said, you probably have multiple coincidental issues.

If your are absolutely certain that you are correctly interpreting the flash codes, then:

"Flame out of sequence" could be as simple as an issue with the CAD cell being bad, or a bad electrical connection, but it could ALSO be quite SERIOUS! as it means the control was sensing a flame when it should NOT HAVE BEEN. Flame in a boiler when there should be no flame is NOT a trivial matter.

I think you should contact a reputable technician to have a look. You may literally be 'playing with fire'.

The OTHER issue of only two of the zones calling for heat while the third does not I believe can be traced to the fact that one of your circulator relays is an RA89 and is not capable of switching the circulator AND signaling the boiler to fire up.

Old 03-01-15, 02:55 PM
NJT
How long has the system been installed?

How long have YOU lived with it?

How long has it been exhibiting this behavior?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: