New oil-fired steam boiler is revving and clicking

Old 02-26-15, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New oil-fired steam boiler is revving and clicking

Hi all -- I have a newly (about 2 months) installed Weil-McLain steam boiler with a Beckett GeniSys 7505 oil burner/controller. When the thermostat reaches the desired temperature, the burner usually spends several minutes making a series of rapid fire revving and clicking sounds. Is this what post-purge sounds like? Is it supposed to last this long, or is something wrong?

If my description is lacking, I'd be happy to post a short video someplace if that would help.

Thanks very much for any insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-15, 05:52 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
A video might be enlightening.

I think the answer is NO, that is NOT what I would describe a post purge to sound like!

You should just hear the blower continue to run and not sound much different than when it's firing.

Old 02-26-15, 05:54 PM
NJT
I would also like to see photos of the install if you don't mind.

Tell us what the PRESSURE SETTINGS are on the boiler. There's probably a gray box called a PRESSURTROL by Honeywell on it.

Old 02-26-15, 06:50 PM
Here's a video -- If for some reason this doesn't work, I'll just put it on youtube.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxD...ew?usp=sharing

Here's a photo of the Honeywell device you mentioned:

Name:  IMG_0594.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  36.3 KB

Thanks very much for the quick reply!

Nestor

Last edited by PJmax; 02-26-15 at 09:41 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 02-26-15, 07:59 PM
NJT
OMG! NO! there is something TERRIBLY wrong there!

I can't tell what, but it's way way way wrong!

How long has it been doing this?

If it's TWO MONTHS OLD, you need to get that installer back PRONTO! It should be warranted.

I want to see pictures of EVERYTHING.

Are you sure that's the BURNER making that noise? There's not a STEAM ENGINE in your basement?

I need to know the SETTINGS on that gray box. Is the pointer on the front turned ALL THE WAY DOWN? It should show 0.5 PSI.

Loosen the screw on that box (TURN THE POWER TO THE BOILER OFF FIRST) and tell me what the setting of the WHITE DIAL inside the box is. It should be no lower than 1.5 and no higher than 2.0

Old 02-26-15, 08:18 PM
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Have your installer fix your pressuretrol and face it up so the condensate can drain. Just when you thought you've seen everything. If he has difficulty have him look at the picture on the manual.
Did it do that from the start?

Old 02-26-15, 08:42 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Spott, the picture is sideways. The forum software does that all too often.

Old 02-26-15, 08:51 PM
Thanks Furd.
The other day I was looking at a radiator valve I thought was a sideways pic and it turned out to be correct.
I think I'm losing my mind. Have to start looking at all the angles.

Old 02-26-15, 08:54 PM
NJ: Here's a photo from inside the box. If the blue spot on the metal arm to the left of the dial is the mark, then it's set well below 1. The setting on the outside of the gray box is set right at 0.5. The pointer on the round gauge appears to be bottomed out. Should I turn up the white dial inside the pressurtrol?

Name:  IMG_0596.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  34.7 KB

Spott: The picture is sideways, even though it's right side up on my phone. Can't seem to fix it on this forum software.

Last edited by PJmax; 02-26-15 at 09:46 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 02-26-15, 09:00 PM
This picture is also rotated, obviously. Maybe I'll start uploading them upside down.

Old 02-26-15, 09:08 PM
This is obviously very frustrating. We called shortly after the install when this was happening to ask whether it was normal. They said, "oh yeah, that's the purge cycle." Has it been wasting oil? Damaging the boiler or burner?

Old 02-26-15, 09:17 PM
That blue mark is just covering the screw. If you can move the wires and look closer you'll see a little mark.
It looks like you might be alright.
That is like your high limit. It should shut off at no more than 2psi. unless your tstat shuts it down sooner.
Does it sound like that when producing heat or just during the post purge.
It almost sounds like power fluctuation.
I would imagine it would take it toll on the motor at least.

Old 02-26-15, 09:28 PM
It definitely does not sound like that when it's producing heat -- only after the fire in the boiler chamber goes out.

Old 02-26-15, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
I have never heard that sound come out of a boiler before. I couldn't even explain what it's doing.
Like Trooper said.... it sounds like a steam engine.

Old 02-27-15, 07:19 AM
NJT
If the blue spot on the metal arm to the left of the dial is the mark, then it's set well below 1. The setting on the outside of the gray box is set right at 0.5. The pointer on the round gauge appears to be bottomed out. Should I turn up the white dial inside the pressurtrol?
There's a 'line' on the brown 'switch' part, just under the right hand screw that is the setting 'pointer'.

It looks to me as if it's a bit above 1. Which is OK.

I thought it might have been set too close to the outside setting (too low) and the pressurtrol was 'cycling' on off on off ...

Doesn't seem to be the case, but try as an experiment turning up the white dial to 2 and see if it changes the frequency of the cycling at shutdown.

I believe that what's happening is that the pressure in the system is 'bouncing' for some reason.

Perhaps the piping is not correct, perhaps the boiler was not properly skimmed and it's surging.

What does the water level in the sight glass do when the system is running?

Old 02-27-15, 07:22 AM
NJT
They said, "oh yeah, that's the purge cycle." Has it been wasting oil? Damaging the boiler or burner?
Did they even come out to listen to it? Did they watch the video (or didn't send it to them?)

wasting oil, probably not.

Damaging the burner, I would say probably yes.

You need to insist that they send someone to fix this. It IS a problem!

I still want to see all the near boiler piping. You might have bigger issues than you think.

Old 02-27-15, 08:21 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Trooper, did you see the movement down near the pump? Looks like some kind of limit switch or solenoid cycling. I can't make out what it is, or doing but it's cycling along with the motor, wonder if it's causing the cycling????

Old 03-02-15, 12:14 PM
Hi all -- the installer sent someone out today. He tried a lot of things I'd already tried, blamed the Nest thermostat for a while, the finally replaced the controller. That fixed it. So it seems it was a bad controller (GeniSys 7505). Working fine now, pre- and post- purge cycles acting normal.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 03-02-15, 01:24 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Why is the thermostat so often blamed for the woes of any heating system? The thermostat is one of the easiest things to test and that test should be one of the first things done rather than just blame the thermostat from the beginning.

Old 12-17-15, 01:12 PM
Hey all -- I'm bumping this thread because the same thing started happening again this fall. The tech is over here now looking at it. Does the video in the earlier post look familiar to anybody? I've tried swapping out the thermostat and it's now on the second GeniSys 7505 and still doing this!

Thanks,

Nestor