1 Zone Heating Another??

Old 03-03-15, 12:20 PM
1 Zone Heating Another??

I have a problem that hopefully one of the experts in this forum can help me with. I live in a ranch house that has baseboard heating through a gas boiler which feeds 3 zones (basement, bedrooms, and living/dining room).

I've noticed the past few days that when the thermostat is turned "OFF" in the dining/living room but "ON" in the bedroom, the baseboards are giving off heat in the dining/living room as well as the bedrooms. Ive tested the thermostat "ON/OFF" switch that feeds the dining/living room zone and it seems to function properly (the solenoid on the control box on the boiler opens and closes like it is supposed to). When I turn the thermostat that controls the bedroom zones to "OFF" then ALL of the heat is shut off in the entire house (the basement zone is unaffected by either of the other two zones being turned on or off, and the basement zone functions properly).

I always thought the zones were completely independent of each other and didnt share any of the same pipes? So I'm confused how the dining/living room is being controlled by the bedroom zone?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-15, 12:24 PM
D,
Do you have pumps or zone valves controlling the zones and have you had the system worked on lately.
How long has this been going on.

Old 03-03-15, 12:30 PM
Spott,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have one circulating pump and 3 zone relief valves (I've attached some pictures for reference). I have not had the system worked on lately, and it only started happening about 2 days ago. Before that everything functioned normally.Name:  IMG_0804.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  36.8 KB

Old 03-03-15, 12:34 PM
Here is another picture.......Name:  IMG_0803.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  38.4 KB

Old 03-03-15, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
I can see two zone valves in your pictures. You'll need to check each one to see if it's closing and operating correctly with its own thermostat.

Old 03-03-15, 01:21 PM
PJ - how do I check the valves to see if they are working properly?

Old 03-03-15, 01:34 PM
Your zone valves are (from Left to Right) Dinning room, Bed room, Basement.
On top of each valve is a manual opening lever, verify that there is room above the Living room valves manual open lever and the electrical box, should be room for a finger.

To test place all valve levers in AUTO
Turn off all thermostats.
Verify boiler stops firing.
1) For each thermostat in turn, turn up one thermostat verify that pump starts and boiler fires (boiler cool)
2) Turn down thermostat and repeat 1) with next.

Old 03-03-15, 02:44 PM
NJT
Sometimes, even if the valves appear to respond to the thermostat properly they can get stuck open.

When the valve is OPEN the auto/manual lever will move with no effort, Lucy Goosey.

When the valve is CLOSED moving the lever takes a little effort, and you will hear the 'whirring' of the gears inside as you move the lever.

Old 03-03-15, 03:34 PM
They can get stuck in any position short of fully closed.

Old 03-03-15, 04:09 PM
Fellas - I think your suggestions did the trick! The valve for the dining/living room opened and closed and is now functioning as it should. Hopefully it won't happen again, but if it does I know where to begin my troubleshooting. Thanks again for your help!

Old 03-03-15, 05:24 PM
The valve will continue to stick more and more.