options for basement ceiling radiator?

Old 03-17-15, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
options for basement ceiling radiator?

I have hydronic radiators in my home. there is no radiatroradiators in the basement so it gets really cold and I want to add one right into my pipes that run the basement ceiling. What is a good option between 2 and 4feet long that has a thermostat . I'm guessing since its sobclose to the boiler that radiator would be very hot all the time so I need it to have self control features. Also ill include photos of the spot I want to install it at. The first closer pipe is the one that comes out of the boiler. The pipe behind it is the return pipe from the second floor. I have a weil boiler and one pump for the whole house.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-15, 10:06 PM
Old 03-18-15, 05:34 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Pictures are upside down I hope... why? Cell phone pics?

Are you sure that this is not a STEAM radiator system?

what is the full model of the boiler?

If this IS a hot water system, you will get SOME heat from a baseboard on the ceiling but since they operate primarily by CONVECTION of air moving through them, it will be quite inefficient.

Old 03-18-15, 10:06 AM
I'm sure it's a hot water system and yes the pics are upside forever because they are from a phone.

My question is when I install a radiator there do I install a Y connection or what is recommended.

My boiler says weil mclain cga

Old 03-18-15, 10:34 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
With both supply and return piping installing a cast iron radiator in the ceiling area should be relatively easy. The biggest problem will be control. You could just add the radiator and let the existing control system for the rest of the house do its job but that might leave the basement either under or overheated. Ideally you would use an electrically actuated zone valve in BOTH the radiator piping and in the piping to the rest of the house and control each area with a separate thermostat. The new radiator would need a flow balancing valve if you do not go the route of zone valves and separate thermostats.

As Trooper mentioned, forget the idea of using a finned tube convector in the ceiling, only a radiator will work. You need a thin radiator and it needs to be securely mounted as it will be even heavier when filled with water.

Old 03-18-15, 10:41 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Also, the fin tube element is only 3/4" piping and you will 'choke' the flow by adding that there.