Leak at the air purger vent (and a few known issues)

Old 04-02-15, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak at the air purger vent (and a few known issues)

Hi folks -

I've been nursing my boiler for the past few weeks after a great season of solid performance. At the beginning of the winter, the pressure relief valve was leaking and occasionally opening wide. I replaced it as well as the expansion tank (it had water at the air pump valve), but quickly realized the culprit was a faulty and/or dirty pressure reducing valve. Based on a thread I read here, I simply turned off the fill line. The system maintained pressure all season and worked flawlessly.

As weather started getting warmer, I noticed the sound of air in the lines. The pressure had dropped. I opened the valve and added some water, but didn't do a bleed. I figured what was trapped would work itself out through the bleed vents (which are all relatively new).

A few days later, circulation stopped. Upon inspection, there was water pooled under the expansion tank and air purger, with a steady stream of water flowing from the purger's bleed vent.

Did a full bleed (coincidentally replaced the hot surface ignitor too), and we were back in business.

One week later, the vent is flowing again and pressure dropped. I did a full bleed again, and things seemed back in order. After a few hours, it's back to leaking at the vent. Additionally, the backflow preventer vent let some water out as well.

The plan is to replace the faulty pressure reducer this weekend, but I fear there's something else causing whatever imbalance there is.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-15, 02:48 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You're going to replace the leaking air vent too, right?

If you've got the water turned off to the boiler and that vent is leaking for some reason, that's why your pressure is dropping and it's sucking air.

Old 04-02-15, 05:00 PM
NJT to the rescue!

I'll grab a new vent and drain the whole system down.

Add to the shopping list new 1/4 turn ball valve hose bibs for bleeding. 2 of them are now leaking as well. Luckily it's warm tonight - I have a feeling it's going to be a gurgly one.

Guess I know what tomorrow holds.

Thanks, as always, for the help.

Old 04-03-15, 05:39 PM
All resolved.

Replaced: Pressure reducing valve, back flow preventer, hose bib valves, and of course the leaking vent.

Aside from taking forever to drain the 3/4" supply line, it was mostly smooth sailing.

Thanks again for your help.

Ken

PS - NJT - a few years ago, I mentioned I had a bulk box of 3/4" HePex tubing. I still have it and it's taking up space. If you're interested in it, let me know here or by email - [personal info removed]. You've saved me a lot of money since joining here - I'd be happy to offer it to you if you can use it.

Thanks

FYI - thanks for removing my info. That email was down - it's back up now. Feel free if you tried and didn't get a reply.

Ken

Last edited by alken; 04-03-15 at 07:54 PM.