Possible leak from Hydronic Boiler or Pressure Relief Valve released water?

Old 04-05-15, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible leak from Hydronic Boiler or Pressure Relief Valve released water?

I have a 1991 Utica 50,000 BTU gas hydronic boiler in my basement. The expansion tank was replaced about 6 months ago. Anyhow, I am out of town for a few days and my wife was in the basement looking for something and noticed some water damage to boxes and shoes (had some mold on them already) in the vicinity of boiler. There is no standing water but there must have been a little within the last month or so. Also, the bricks that the boiler is on are damp. She said that the pressure relief valve is moist. She placed a bucket today under the pressure relief valve but yet there has not been any accumulation of water.

The PSI is 20 at 180F and about 18 PSI at 100F. Do you think there is a crack in the boiler or for whatever reason the pressure relief valve released water onto the basement floor? Is it safe to use the heat for now?

Last edited by NJT; 04-05-15 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-15, 02:59 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Stand back and give us some full views of the system as well...

20 PSI should not cause pressure relief to open.

One thing you can do when you are home and able to monitor the system is to close the manual feed water valve and watch the pressure to see if it drops.

I sorta suspect that your gauge may be faulty too... maybe... so it might be a good idea to verify that before you go off on a tangent. Maybe for some reason the pressure really IS high.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html