Exercising Circulators?

Old 04-13-15, 04:57 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Exercising Circulators?

My question is whether circulator pumps need to be routinely exercised during the non-heating season. I can see it for 3-piece pumps with seals and lubricated bearings. But I haven't done it for my wet-rotor pump and can't really see the need.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-15, 05:04 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
The wet rotor jobs do stick from time to time.

I've never had problem with Taco, but had a Grudfos that needed a 'twist' one time. There's been a few here over the years too. I believe that for the most part it's not necessary, but it does happen from time to time.

Old 04-13-15, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grundfos used to have the problem where the shaft would seize up
I have not seen a whole lot of new ones that have startup issues.
I don't think I have ever had and issue with taco.

Keep in mind, Taco has options in there SR and ZVC boxes for excersise timers.
Tekmar builds it in and unless you see it for yourself, you tend to not believe that it actually is a feature.
There are a number of controls that have the function built in and ya might never know it

Old 04-14-15, 08:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm a firm believer in exercising circulators. I do all of mine at least once a week.

Old 04-14-15, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If ones setup doesn't do it automatically then how would one exercise their circulators without triggering a call for heat or DHW?

Old 04-14-15, 06:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I simply go around & turn up each thermostat for a couple of minutes. As soon as I feel heat coming back on that zone, I go to another zone. The dear little bit of heat you are going to get isn't going to have any effect on the A/C.

Old 04-14-15, 06:32 PM
What I'm looking at is a 120-V momentary N.O. push-button switch - to jog the pump. Connect it across the contacts of the circulator relay.

Old 04-15-15, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
This is a great thread. My burner runs during the summer (sniff sniff, boo hoo) for DHW but I never run the pumps during the summer. I wondered about that and one day I was going to ask about that here, but I thought you guys would think Iím nuts. Iím glad a knowledgeable guy like gilmorrie started the discussion.

Old 04-15-15, 10:13 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Look at this for pushbutton switches. Ebay is a less expensive source if you are willing to wait for them to be sent from China.

Non-Illuminated Pushbuttons Flush & Extended | AutomationDirect.com

(I have no connection to Automation Direct other than as a satisfied customer.)

Old 04-15-15, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With all due respect to Gilmorre & Furd, I prefer my method because I know water is actually circulating.

Old 04-15-15, 06:27 PM
I think my system may be quite a bit different from yours. I have just one circulator - and I can easily tell by motor noise and flow noise if it is running and pumping water. I would put the jog switch right next to the pump.

During the non-heating season, my boiler is completely shut down, including the standing pilot. (The pilot would just add moisture into the flue and otherwise serve no purpose.) For me to do it the way you do, every week I would have to light the pilot and heat up the boiler to feel heat.

Every situation is different.

Last edited by gilmorrie; 04-15-15 at 06:29 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-16-15, 06:05 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
What type of controller are you using?
Geo

Old 04-16-15, 08:49 AM
My old boiler doesn't have a "controller" in the modern sense - just discrete, hardwired components. Honeywell aquastat, Honeywell t'stat, Honeywell hi-limit strap-on aquastat (with manual reset), Robertshaw gas valve with standing pilot and thermocouple, and GuardDog low-water cutoff. The "control" functions are achieved by wiring the components in series using 24-V thermostat wire. That's it - no computers, no error codes, no lockouts, no digital displays, etc.

The circulator pump runs anytime there is a call for heat and the burner is set up for warm start.