Hot water issue

Old 10-18-15, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water issue

Hello,

Forgive me as I am new to all of this. I moved into a larger sized home in the summer and it has a oil heating/hot water system with well water. Service records show the unit was serviced last fall. Basically, I turned on the system (heat) the other day and it was cool at first and the unit was only turning on for a brief period of time. The was some clicking from the control panel behind the slide off cover, but only the first time startup. I became a google serviceman and flushed the pipes and bled the pipes/valve etc. I raised the temperature on the inside digital heating and cooling panel and the heat began working fine. However, now I only receive maybe 1-2 minutes of hot water before it becomes cool again. When inspecting the small tank on top, i tripped a valve on the top of the unit which began to spew hot water. I turned the valve (i think the relief valve) around until the leaking stopped. Also, there is a sort of valve stem sticking up (like you would see on a tire) with no screw on cover on it. My wife will kill me if i don't get hot water soon, and i really would like to avoid a service call.

Burnham unit with amtrol extol attached.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-15, 08:45 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I cannot decipher your technology so I will ask you to post at least a dozen well lit and in focus pictures of your installation. Pictures from far enough back so I/we can see the various parts and how they are connected. Ideally, they should be high definition pictures and uploaded to a photo hosting site rather than posted directly to the forum.

Old 10-19-15, 06:01 AM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Burnham unit
And there are dozens of models... which one specifically do you have?

Old 10-19-15, 07:34 AM
Mobile Uploads by ryan_goulette | Photobucket

The pipe for the hot water is hot on the low part and just warm as it proceeds up into the home. All other piping is hot when operating

Old 10-20-15, 03:37 AM
Some photos added thanks for any guidance anyone can give

Old 10-20-15, 05:55 AM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I became a google serviceman and flushed the pipes
You should NOT have done that. Google can be your friend, but the bozos that post crap about flushing a hydronic system should be banned from the internet.

Read this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

I haven't looked at the newer pics yet, but there is perhaps a longer learning curve here than you need at this time. It would probably be best at this point to call the company that serviced it in the fall and tell them it's not working...

Old 10-20-15, 06:55 AM
NJT I should know this by now from all the times you've addressed this, but I’m advanced in age and the ole memory is slipping, but it looks like HI-LO-DIFF = 180-160-20 (at least that’s the way it looks to my eyes). Is that a problem?