carbon monoxide detector.going offand on

Old 11-06-15, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
carbon monoxide detector.going offand on

Ihad an Electrical shutdown by nature. When everything came back on 2 hours or so.Everything has to be reset in the clock dept .I kept hearing this entermitent squeal.... short, and then not again for a minute or two,I traced it to the basement and found this; C -monoxide warning gadget i plugged in 10 years ago. It never ever made a sound, and i often wondered if i had installed it correctly. Jus never even had to touch it. leave well enough alone.don't fix it, if it ain't broken

So i can't use it cause now,it won't shut off. No rest button on it, just a "test" button, I left it hang for 2 hours .....went back, thinking i might have reset it. NOPE she wailing again when i plug it back in.But of course!! i have directions and manuals to tools, and such,that threw out years ago.but not this detector Whats your reccomendation with this?. Theres no C- monoxide in the house. i woke up this morning,.............. Not trying to make light of his thing, Do i go buy another one or can this be rectified . I Looked inside the plastic cover. just full of electronics please. thank you for taking the time spent on this detector question bob s

blinking green lite always lites up

Last edited by bsa_bob2; 11-06-15 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-15, 09:20 AM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Carbon monoxide detectors in the U.S. have an end-of-life alarm mandated by law. After a number of years (mine was 7 I think) they chirp consistently and cannot be shut off. The label on the back may say something like "must be replaced in x years" or have an expiration date. Unplug it and buy a new one to replace it. Check the label to see if it has to go to a recycling center or if it can be put in the trash.

Old 11-06-15, 10:24 AM
Thanks 2john I will do just that i really appreciate this reply take care bob s

Old 11-07-15, 06:25 AM
This monoxide detector was $17.00 i think. I can't find one now.anywhere near that inexpensive,and there isn't need to have gadgets on it for $50.00 and more,to me .Where would i lok for just the bare minimum/ Warning is all i need bob d

Old 11-07-15, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bob d - Big Orange Box has battery powered CO alarm for about $20. I have them in my house. Bill

Old 11-07-15, 05:24 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
You get what you pay for, especially when it comes to CO detectors.

Most residential CO detectors are fairly insensitive and the only thing I can say in favor of them is that they are better than no detector at all...but not much better.

I used to service CO detectors used on compressed breathing air systems so I DO know a bit about them.

Old 11-08-15, 06:23 AM
thank you Bil and furd I got one for $27.00 All is well bob s