Monoflo Tee friction loss

Old 11-12-15, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Monoflo Tee friction loss

I am wanting to do a head loss on a hot water heating zone. This zone has three Beacon Morris toe space heaters in it. Does anyone know what the head loss is for one of the tees. They are 3/4 x 3/4 with a 1/2 inch branch. These tees are the venturi style tee with the internal cone.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-15, 04:15 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Jerome, tell us why you want to do a head loss on that loop... might help us give better answers.

Old 11-13-15, 02:24 AM
Hello NJT, This system was put in back in 1985 and I feel the wrong circulator was installed. The installed pump is a Bell and Gossett series 100 and from what I have read it does not have enough head to do the job. I have added two more zones and need to re-plumb the boiler header and would like to use the correct pump. I have done the gpm calculation for the three zones. I am trying to do the head loss calculation now. I thought you guys would have a chart with every fitting available, but if not I will use what I have. I have found another chart with Taco venturi tees with a 28.9 friction loss for a 3/4 tee. I do have two more tees that I do not see or recognize on the chart. One is a 3/4 through with a 1 inch branch. The other is a 1 inch to 3/4 through with a 3/4 branch. If you have the numbers on those that would be nice, if you have to search for them I can just use the std. tee branch flow number. This head loss in being done from memory of the system so it will be close but not exact. Thanks NJT

Old 11-13-15, 04:01 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Jerome, understood... but are you actually having a problem with the heat getting to where it needs to be?

I don't see the 100 not being up to the task.

The pump only has to be able to pump the highest head zone. The others will fall in line behind that.

A zone with 3 venturi tees is easy for a 100 to pump through.

I've got 2 venturi tees on my downstairs loop being pumped also through about 50' of fin tube around the perimeter and a lowly G'fos 15-58 has absolutely no trouble at all on MED speed.

If the 100 is still in good shape, keep it.

Old 11-13-15, 08:00 PM
I used a infrared temp gun to shoot the return water temperature on the three zones last year. I had to restrict the flow some on the bedrooms zone and also the living room, dining and kitchen zone to get the 15 or 20 degree temperature drop. On the basement zone there is a 40 degree temperature drop on the return line. So I was thinking that zone is not getting the 2.185 gpm flow that is needed. Maybe the water is going too slow through that zone. The house is never cold so the pump must not be that under sized if it is under sized. If I remember correctly the Bell and Gossett series 100 pumps a maximum head of 8 feet and 25 or so gpm?????not sure. The living room zone has a head loss of 13.699. On that zone the Beacon Morris twin flows have a monoflo tee on the supply and return. so I do have 6 of them not three. When sizing a pump for the highest head, do you just size for that zones head and gpm or do you need to combine all of the gpm from the other zones? Thanks NJT