Loud Radiator, Leaking - Old Chicago Apartment

Old 11-13-15, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loud Radiator, Leaking - Old Chicago Apartment

Hi everyone,

I am attaching a short video of the loud radiator that has been haunting me since the days started to get colder (moved in to this place in September so there was no activity at the time). Really I am just looking for an opinion as to what the problem here might be and any possible solutions, so that when I discuss this once again with property management I can offer some solutions or request a professional come in to take care of it. Any help is appreciated.

https://youtu.be/8ev5p5pdq1k

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-15, 03:36 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Does the whistling eventually stop when steam arrives at the radiator? Or does it continue to whistle and blow steam into the room? Do you have any kind of thermostat controlling the heat?

The problem, of course, is the the air vent but whether it needs replacement or adjustment needs to be determined.

Old 11-13-15, 04:21 PM
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
Is it leaking steam from the air valve or water from a joint or somewhere down below?

Of course you will expect the apartment owner to bring people in to do the repairs and to pay for the repairs.

Repairing rusted out steam heat pipes is more complicated than repairing ordinary plumbing because the new pipes have to follow almost the same routing to have the proper pitch. Large areas of ceilings may need to be broken in order to achieve a fast repair.

(My computer cannot download videos to play.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-13-15 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

The noise is definitely coming from the valve although it's definitely rusted out around the...i don't know what you call it, a sillcock(?)...where it's leaking water.

The whistling goes on for about 15-30 minutes so I imagine that's for the entirety of the cycle. This is the first time I've lived in a place with a radiator so I'm not entirely sure how to know when the steam "arrives" at the radiator. If there's a thermostat then it is controlled for the entire building; I do not have one in my apartment.

I've called the super about it several times. In fact I think he replaced the valve as it looks fairly new. He speaks with a thick accent so I have a little bit of trouble understanding him, and of course I'm never there to see what he's done, but I think that's all he's done about it.