Heating questions: air in system, pressure and zone valves.

Old 11-23-15, 10:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heating questions: air in system, pressure and zone valves.

Hey All,

I've lived in my home for 5 years now, and have not serviced my system. A few questions:

Now it's getting cold and we recently turned on the heat, and i'm hearing the water much more than I used to. Does this mean there is more air in the system?

Also, the heat on the third floor is very poor. I'm guessing the pressure is not enough. The reducing valve is default to 12psi, but from what i've read, a three story home (system in basement), should be around 15psi. How do i test the pressure?

Not sure if this involves the expansion tank, but i've read that in order to test it, the water needs to be drained from the system and then i can set the tank to match the pressure in the system, then open the water value again.

I have two zones in the house. One valve failed last year, so I just bypassed it and now both zones get heat when the system is on. I'm thinking that I'm not really spending more money heating the whole house as the t-stat will shut the heat down when it reaches the desired temperature, so what difference does it make if water is pumping in the other zone.

Thanks. sorry for the random questions

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-15, 12:02 PM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
In order to purge air from the two zones, the return line to the furnace has to have a shut-off valve with a hose bib for connecting a garden hose to a drain. Connect a garden hose. With the furnace power off, manually close the zone valve to the second floor and open the zone valve to the first floor. Open the water fill valve to the furnace. Next, open the valve connected to the garden hose. Observe the hose at the drain. When water is flowing without bubbling or hissing, close the valve connected to the garden hose and the fill valve. Manually close the zone valve to the first floor and open the zone valve to the second floor. Repeat the draining process.
There should be a combination temperature/pressure gauge on the front of the furnace. The pressure gauge is used to set the 15 psi at operating temperature. After turning furnace power on, set first floor t'stat as high as it will go. Check pressure when circulating pump operates. If less than 15 psi, add water via water fill valve until pressure is 15 psi. If pressure is greater than 15 psi. open the valve connected to the garden hose until pressure drops to 15 psi. Set t'stat back to normal.
There is no harm in running two zones from one t'stat if the temperature differential is tolerable. Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-15, 02:08 PM
Thanks Beelzebob.

The draining/filling instructions make sense.

As for pressure, i'm pretty certain that there is no gauge on the furnace. I will check and get back to you.

Old 11-23-15, 02:18 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi Billy, make/model of the boiler for starters.

I think based on your comments that you've already read these?

There's step-by-step instructions in here to PROPERLY step-by-step recharge the air in your expansion tank.

BUT... if your tank says FILL-TROL on it, these instructions will NOT work, let me know about that and I'll tell you what to do.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

I'm pretty sure your boiler does have a gauge on it.

Read this one too:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

Old 11-23-15, 10:43 PM
Hi NJT

It's a crown aruba dg75 ei. I am not seeing a gauge. The tank is an extrol.

As for checking the pressure, there is a drain valve right passed the reducing valve. Will that be sufficient to connect the pressure gauge to?

I've noticed the valve from the water inlet appears to be open. I was under the assumption that water is shut down once the system is pressurized.

I attempted to post pics from my phone but it did not work. I will try again from a desktop.

Old 11-24-15, 02:42 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Gauge is behind the front cover, you can see it in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk7VHKeh98M

Old 11-25-15, 09:00 AM
Found the gauge: it was on top of the unit towards the back.

System off - pressure about 15
System full blast - 18-19psi

System is in the basement, but the 3rd floor gets nothing. Is the pressure too low? I'm guessing it's about 30' from the gauge to the baseboard unit on the third floor.

Would i just set the water pressure higher at the reducing valve? Can i test the pressure from the hose value that is right after the reducing valve?

I understand that the expansion tank pressure must match the system pressure? How do i go about doing so?

Old 12-06-15, 06:08 AM
bump.

any thoughts or guidance is appreciated.