Bleeding Boiler Zones Help

Old 12-01-15, 03:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bleeding Boiler Zones Help

I have a gas boiler with 2 zones, 2 circulator pumps and 2 relays. See attached diagram

When I bleed the system this is what I basically do. I turn all the shut-off valves off, except for line going out to the baseboards of the zone I am going to bleed, disengage the fill valve pressure regulator and then I open the drain petcock above the circulator pump and let it run for about a minute or two and then repeat for the second zone. However, when I do the above the tridicator gauge shows 0 psi pressure.

Is the way I am bleeding the system correct?Name:  Heating System Model (1).jpg
Views: 467
Size:  19.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-15, 05:45 AM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
Your procedure for venting the zones is OK. Your diagram does not show the location of the pressure gage and the fill valve. If you can get 15-20 psi on the pressure gage using the fill valve after you shut off the zone drain valve, you are OK. I would not be concerned with the gage reading 0 when either drain valve is open.

Old 12-02-15, 06:40 AM
The pressure gauge is mounted behind the boiler cover. The fill valve is goes into zone 1 and branches into zone 2.

I am thinking my fill valve is malfunctioning (B&G FB-38), because when I open the drain above the circulator pump all the way, there is only a trickle of water coming out of the hose once the pressure drops to 0 psi. Hence, the fill valve is not doing its job.

Old 12-02-15, 07:38 AM
pressure

That fill valve, I think, has a "handle" that can be lifted to bypass the pressure reducing part of the valve and flow a larger amount of water. That might be worth a try. Might not work if the screen in the valve is clogged up. Good luck-
Steve

Old 12-02-15, 08:48 AM
I spoke to Bell and Gossett technical support and they said the same thing Steve said, to check the strainer on the fill valve to make sure it is not clogged. They infromed me that these fill valves rarely if ever fail.