Munchkin 80MLP boiler advice

Old 12-02-15, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Munchkin 80MLP boiler advice

I have a 2003 Munchkin 80MLP that is working great but I opened the cover to try to track down a noise and noticed that the blower has a pretty good vibration to it. This model has no swirl plate.

Is this something that I should have my HVAC repair man replace after being in use for about 12 years?

If it is the bearings that are going will they be able to do that rather than replace the whole unit?

Is this a common problem?

Thanks for advice on this problem. Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-15, 08:00 PM
Typically these fans are not servicable.
An out of balance condition can be a result of a deteriorated fan.

Generally, if you change out a fan the tech needs to verify the CO2 and CO levels.

Old 12-06-15, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A deteriorated fan usually means you are sucking in combustion gasses...12 years is a good run for a Munchkin fan..when was the last time you had a full cleaning and service?

Old 12-06-15, 05:06 PM
Munchkin

Thanks poorplmbr.

I replaced the fan today but when I dismantled the old one, the fan was in perfect shape, no deterioration. Something was causing a pretty good imbalance as it was vibrating quite a bit. Perhaps a bearing, I don't know.

I have not had it serviced in the last 5 years but am able to keep the combustion chamber, coils and heating element clean my self. It seems pretty straightforward but what am I missing by not having it professionally cleaned?

Old 12-06-15, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If your professional services your boiler it is not only the cleaning of the heat exchanger. He is checking seals and gaskets, looking for water leaks, checking amperage draw, safety's and finalizing with a combustion test to maximize the efficiency. He would also check the venting to verify all is well and verify the piping is per I&O manual if he did not install the product. If your boiler control allows he would check the cycle rate and fine tune the OD reset and possible de-rate the input for added fuel savings.