how long can air be trapped?

Old 12-04-15, 07:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how long can air be trapped?

We just moved house and have been having trouble with our radiant heating system. We had a pump replaced and now there is air in the system. We have been bleeding the air for a few days now. How long can we expect to keep bleeding air?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-15, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If there is no proper air removal at the boiler.... it could take a while.
As long as you keep getting air.... keep bleeding it.

Old 12-04-15, 09:11 AM
Thank you for responding. Could it be a week? A month? We were told that the issue could also be the pressure tank. At what point do we accept that bleeding is not going to fix problem?

Old 12-04-15, 10:00 AM
Have you looked at the amount of pressure in your expansion tank . Turn off the heat and re-pressurize the expansion tank if needed and that should help get some of the air out. I had air in my upstairs and opening the valve no longer was working to release air. I had to turn off my system and add water to the expansion tank. That didn't help too much so I added air with a small air compressor and the pressure went up. Went upstairs opened the valve and the air pushed out over about 2 minutes. Then the water came. Pressure went down in the system so had to add more water to the expansion tank. Did the rest of the radiators without much drop in pressure. Once they were all bleed turned back on the heat and watched the pressure to make sure it didn't go up too high as the heat will expand in it. Pressure should stay around 15 in my house.

Old 12-04-15, 10:17 AM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
Depending on several facts not yet in evidence it may never release all the air. If it was not plumbed with an oxygen barrier tubing it WILL absorb oxygen right through the tubing. If here are any leaks then it will be taking on fresh water, water saturated with air, to replace the leakage. Even bleeding air will lower the pressure to the point where additional water (with air) will be added.

Depending on how low a temperature is maintained throughout all parts of the system can have a negative effect upon the water releasing its air. Same is true of several different piping arrangements.

Please describe the entire system IN DETAIL including the manufacturer and model designation of all the major components. Pictures, lots of pictures, can always help. Pictures DO need to be well lit and in focus and from several different angles. Close ups are NOT needed at this time but wide angle shots showing how the different components are connected are preferred. High definition pictures hosted on a photo hosting site are preferable to pictures directly uploaded to the forum. Do not attempt to use tinypic for hosting as the forum software does not allow tinypic. Dark and/or fuzzy pictures are useless.

Old 12-05-15, 03:59 PM
will post pics tmr

sorry for the delay. had to rush my pup to the vet for emergency surgery. she ripped open her spay incision. yes, it was as gory as you imagine. will try to take and post photos of the system tomorrow b4 going to work. sorry for the off topic post, but I do appreciate all of your help and will follow up. please bear with me.