Water leaking from pipe going into boiler

Old 12-04-15, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water leaking from pipe going into boiler

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. While trying to figure out why my just one of my 2 upper level radiators is cold, I went downstairs to check the gas fired hot water boiler. I noticed a leak coming from a pipe and dripping right onto the pressure valve below it.

The first picture below is a wider shot of the boiler and the ones that follow show the pipe that is leaking straight down to the boiler below. The spot where the leak is coming from looks like an opening where I could screw another pipe into. I ended up slowly turning on the knob up and to the left of where the leak was (water intake, I imagine) and it sounded like I was turning the water on. At that point the leaking suddenly stopped. The line splits with one going to down to the boiler and one going up to a tank in the ceiling.

I just had someone out for the tune up last week and he said while the boiler is old, it was fine. I called them and they said they can't get out until mid next week.

Do I need to worry about this? Sorry if this is confusing, this is definitely not an area I'm familiar with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  b3.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  b4.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  b5.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  35.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-04-15 at 09:59 PM. Reason: reoriented/enhanced pics
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-15, 09:42 PM
Sorry, the first two and last two pics should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Old 12-05-15, 03:48 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
The device shown in the second and third pictures is called a "backflow preventer" and often abbreviated as BFP. Its purpose is to stop any "backflow" of boiler water into the house's potable (drinking) water system if there is a failure of the city or well-supplied water pressure. These units often leak out of the backflow port under varying conditions. By rights, that port should be piped to a point close to the basement floor, ideally to a floor drain or alternately to a bucket placed under the drain pipe.

Rebuild kits for the BFP are available but their cost is about two-thirds to three-quarters of the cost of the entire assembly and there is no guarantee that a rebuild will stop the leak. Most professionals simply replace the malfunctioning BFP.

You mention that the reason why you checked the boiler was that your uppermost radiators are not heating. That is a classic symptom of having too low a water pressure in your system and that usually comes from having leaks in the system. Please observe the pressure gauge on the boiler and let us know what the pressure and temperature readings are indicating. Be careful, you probably have two different indicator "hands" on the gauge and one of them is only a manually set pointer rather than actually indicating pressure. Also be aware that most boiler pressure gauges will have two scales, one in psi and the other in feet. Please read the psi scale.

Post back.

Old 12-05-15, 08:30 AM
Thank you for your reply, Furd, I really appreciate it. I took a picture of the pressure gauge. The one radiator upstairs is still cold. Every time I bleed it, air comes out for a little while, but no water. Name:  Pressure Gauge.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 12-05-15, 08:28 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Sorry to be so late in getting back to you.

I suspect that your pressure gauge is defective. Please read the "sticky" at the following link.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html