Boiler Noise in the house

Old 12-06-15, 05:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler Noise in the house

I have what seems to be a very quiet Munchkin Boiler. When it is running, in the basement, and I stand next it I can hardly hear it. If I listen right next to the main pump I cannot hear anything.

Yet on the first and second floors one can hear that the boiler is running. How can this be?

I assume that the sound may be transmitted by the water itself or perhaps the pipes but I feel no vibration in the pipes in the basement.

How is this explained and how do I minimize this noise?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-15, 05:05 AM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
Try venting radiators or bleeding zones for each floor. Trapped air could be the source of noise. Good luck

Old 12-07-15, 12:03 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
I suspect that the noise is from too high of a velocity of the water pumped through the system. Perhaps changing the pump to a three-speed model would allow you to lower the velocity to a point where the noise would stop.

Many, many years ago I designed and installed a heating system in my parents house. I originally had an ancient three-piece Bell and Gossett pump and that system was absolutely silent. Some years later I substituted a "canned" pump for the B&G and afterwards there was a very definite whine that could only be heard in the living quarters when the pump was running. Whenever I visited my parents I would hear that whine and comment on it. Neither of my parents could hear it, or so they said, and my daddy specifically told me not to be concerned as the system kept the house comfortable.

Old 12-08-15, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is it exactly that you hear?