Loud banging noise in pipes while steam boiler is working

Old 12-07-15, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loud banging noise in pipes while steam boiler is working

I have acquired this house during summer. As one of the purchase conditions, the previous owner installed a new steam boiler for the heating system. During initial tests no issues were observed. However, now, during cold days when system is operating, I hear very loud banging in the pipes. I read some posts here, which indicated that it could be a faulty boiler or improper piping. I, personally, have no experience with steam heating systems and the plumber who did the work for the previous owners is not available. I hope someone with the experience checks out the pictures and lets me know if the piping is adequate. I will also contact boiler manufacturer in hopes to get some troubleshooting of the boiler itself. Please, see the following URL, leading to the photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/2hQVDqyeUcWvqhYC7

I will greatly appreciate your help. Any advice will be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-15, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 36 Posts
Many things are wrong as I can see..

Should be like figure 2 here...

Comfort Calc

The tees are wrong and there is no Hartford loop on the return....

Old 12-08-15, 06:07 AM
Thank you for your fast reply.

Could you, kindly, elaborate on "Hartford Loop". Is that a loop connecting return and the "output" line of the boiler?

Old 12-08-15, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Internet is your friend...

Hartford Loop

Also there are a lot of steam guys up north in oldbridge..

Best off getting 3 estimates to fix it right...

Old 12-09-15, 05:22 PM
Thank you for the information. I wonder what influences wild swinging of water level in the glass pipe. When system is working the level changes from very bottom to just above the middle.

Old 12-09-15, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
DID YOU READ MY LINK???

the Dead Men didn't always use this piping arrangement. They used to bring the return directly back into the bottom of the boiler without benefit of either a Hartford Loop or an equalizer. When they piped a boiler this way, however, the slightest steam pressure would push water out of the boiler and into the return.

Hence the loss of water. when the boiler cools the water returns...

Old 12-11-15, 10:04 PM
Mike,

I can see that you are in NJ. Do you do this kind of work?

Old 12-12-15, 12:04 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Mike is a pipefitter/plumber. Yes, he does this kind of work for a living. I'm pretty sure his professional ethics would prohibit him from doing work for anyone as a result of his work on this forum. He did mention that you have several competent people in your area.

Old 12-13-15, 01:32 PM
I can see what appears to be the return line on the back side of the equalization pipe with the electronic water feed appearing to be tapped into that so that part may be right (Black Tee, copper return). But we cant see enough to tell if its a short nipple, at the right height and of proper size.

However the steam riser is piped incorrectly off of the header and should not be part of the equalization line, as the picture provided by lawrosa shows

The way the header is done, along with the tapping to the distribution, no doubt you have some steam going wrong directions, fighting the piping and the result is steam flashing to the condensate which results in the noise.

In short, besides equalization done improperly, the installer got lazy and created a double header that are the main issues.

Old 12-13-15, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The boiler needs to be completely re-piped and skimmed to get the oil out of the boiler water. If the piping horizontal mains insulation has be removed they must be re-insulated.they must be

Old 12-17-15, 10:08 PM
I would be grateful if someone can recommend a competent plumber (or several) in my area (Old Bridge / East Brunswick / Marlboro / Manalapan). I would like piping to be done properly.

Thank you, everyone, who participated in the discussion.

Old 12-18-15, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator
Cant give names here but I would look for a business with mechanical in their name.. In NJ the mechanical type plumbing company's do fine pipe work.

Example.. ABC mechanical....