Low Pressure on a Lennox GWB8-140E

Old 12-12-15, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Pressure on a Lennox GWB8-140E

I have been getting low heat from several radiators on the second floor of my house. I bled the radiators downstairs, all almost instantly bled water. When I went upstairs, there was a hissing, then nothing (air intake). Before I turned on the system a couple months ago, the (cold) pressure was around 12, but after I shut it off this morning and everything cooled, it was down to 9-10.

Thanks to many helpful responses in this forum, I have a pretty good idea of what's going on, and what I need to do. I am, however, unable to bring up the pressure on my system. I have attached some images, I was hoping one of you wonderful helpful people could point me in the right direction!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-15, 02:38 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I need a better picture of the top of your expansion tank. It appears to be a "Filtrol" tank and I think the water supply valve is turned off. You may also need to add air to the tire valve fitting on the bottom of the tank.

Old 12-12-15, 04:02 PM
Thank you so much! Hope these clear things up

Old 12-12-15, 05:53 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Okay, definitely a Fill-Trol tank. I wanted to see the piping to see if there is a valve that is closed but you can do that. Assuming no closed valves in the domestic water piping you will need to add some air through the tire valve on the bottom of the tank. You need about 12-15 psi and using a bicycle tire pump is preferred since an air compressor will fill it really fast.

Once you bring up the air pressure in the Fill-Trol tank it will automatically add water to the system and bring up the pressure. If it doesn't then the Fill-Trol is bad and will need to be replaced.

Old 12-13-15, 11:25 PM
Thank you so very much! Hooked the bike pump up, filled it up to just under 20 (accidentally), bled all the radiators again (took a while for a couple upstairs), brought the pressure back down to 13-14.

Just completed the first heating cycle, got up to about 21-22psi at 140 degrees, plenty of even heat from all radiators on all floors.

With the system on, but not heating and cooled down, it is at about 18psi. The residual heat has been much greater, and the radiators on on all floors stayed hotter longer.

Fiance's house (I just bought it, my first home, thanks VA!), she guessed there has been no maintenance done in 10 years or so. She said it's the hottest the upstairs radiators have been in as long as she can remember.

Again, thank you so much, a very happy and blessed holiday season to you and yours. :-)

EDIT: Added Cooled-down pressure reading