Upgrading oil fired boiler

Old 12-15-15, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrading oil fired boiler

Hey guys,

I have spent the last few nights doing research on upgrading my oil boiler. Name:  2015-12-07 19.39.35.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  33.3 KBName:  IMG_20151207_194018437.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  30.5 KBName:  2015-12-07 19.39.17.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  20.9 KB

Every year I get the boiler cleaned and the guy told me this unit is around 20yrs old. And the efficiency is garbage; in the low teens.

For a few years now, I have contemplated changing the boiler out to a point of use unit, running on Natural Gas. Which is available and won't cost anything to install the line to the house.

I am pretty handy on my own and have seen/read that other (non-professional's) take on bigger systems than mine. Being that my 1 story 900 sq.ft. home is only 1 zone, with 2 faucets and a shower, I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade.

After all the research, there is alot of options and ways to upgrade and it always seems that their systems are larger/more complicating.

Take a look at my photos I attached, I need to figure out where to start.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-15, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
FYI, I do have copper fin-tube baseboards by the way.

Old 12-15-15, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
900 sq ft home dictates about a 25K BTU boiler

You have a DOE 93K btu boiler now.( Size to DOE but do a heat loss of the home)

Changing from oil to gas alone will save you oodles of money...

What type of heat emmitters are in the home?

Hows the hot water heaterd>

Put a basic boiler in IMO. The modulating will cost more for install and the long run..

Get gas run to the home.. You need to size the gas pipe in the home doing the gas calculation. Boiler, HWH. stove, dryer....etc..

I recommend burnham..

the 202 most likely is size right..

https://file.ac/ZYgLWyMdFsk/Series%2...ta%20Sheet.pdf

Sentry s 34 .. I like the controls better on these..

http://www.slantfin.com/images/stori...ntry_s_10v.pdf

These are examples that are better sized for your sq ft of the home...

Old 12-15-15, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
I see you have a tankless coil... you will need to wave bye bye to that.. A seperate gas water heater would be your best bet...

Measure all your baseboard element only and tell me how many feet you have.. Not the covers but the element inside the covers..

Old 12-16-15, 01:36 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Every year I get the boiler cleaned and the guy told me this unit is around 20yrs old. And the efficiency is garbage; in the low teens.
Is this same "guy" trying to sell you a new boiler?

I agree with Mike that most likely your boiler is two to three times larger than necessary AND the tankless coil is the second most inefficient method in the world to heat domestic water.

BUT, the statement that the efficiency is in the low teens is absolutely false. The ONLY "efficiency" figure that is readily discernible in the field is the combustion efficiency of the oil burner and unless your "boiler guy" is a complete nincompoop the combustion efficiency is at least 50% if not into the 80% range. Your overall system efficiency will be low because of both the tankless coil and because the vastly oversized boiler. There ARE things that you can do to help improve that without replacing the boiler and the winter months are NOT the time to be making serious changes with the heating system if you can possibly avoid it.

Old 12-16-15, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
With a piggy back controller such as the Beckett heat manager or Intellidyne HW+ and a possible down fire of the burners firing rate can make the system operate much more efficiently.

As Furd said, there's no way the burners efficiency is in the teens.

Old 12-16-15, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That Boiler looks new to my eye !

I wonder if that Company would be willing to make a "written" Statement regarding the inefficiency of your Boiler, and minimum ROI or PayBack period for your investment in the replacement equipment that they're proposing.

It's probably up in the realm of 15-20 years !

You've got more exciting places to waste your money . . . . if you want to waste it at all.

PS: What's the light green cloth underneath the oil supply line ?

Old 12-19-15, 07:00 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Maybe they are getting clouded reading due to how close the draft regulator is to the boiler. I don't see the test hole but they are to be at least 1 pipe diameter from the draft regulator towards the boiler.
The draft regulator is supposed to be a minimum of 18" from the boiler.