Boiler/Hydronic System Concerns

Old 12-19-15, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler/Hydronic System Concerns

This is my first winter renting a house with a propane boiler and hydronic baseboard heat. The system was really loud so we had it serviced about two weeks ago. The tech replaced the circulator for the downstairs zone at that time. The next day, we didn't have any heat at all, so he came back and replaced the upstairs circulator. It sounded as though the upstairs circulator was always running and he was back two days ago to replace the upstairs thermostat.

It now sounds as though there is water continuously flowing upstairs to the second floor- the sound isn't noticeable next to the boiler, but it is from the first floor above the boiler. Is it supposed to make this sound, but wasn't previously due to circulator issues or do I need to get the tech back? The thermostat upstairs is currently set to off.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-15, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What prompted your"service technician" to replace your circulator(s) in the 1st place...and then coincidentally your thermostat was bad and needed to be replaced too?? Sounds like the tech ripped you off..and left you with a lot of air in the system...I would not have that guy back again and would complain to his boss

Old 12-20-15, 09:55 AM
The "tech" sounds more like a parts salesman. I would be wary of having him back. Others will chime in with more advice on how to solve this problem. By the way isn't your landlord supposed to be the one to be the responsible one to take care of the machinery?
Sid

Old 12-20-15, 11:11 AM
Sounds like the system lost pressure over the summer, and too much air got into the lines . . . . resulting in the noise and the lack of 2nd floor heat.

What's the pressure now ?

Did this Tech any air ?

Old 12-25-15, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would think the landlord should be responsible also. You need to get a tech out that knows what he is doing and can properly diagnose the system before throwing parts at it.