Bell and Gossett series 100 pump leaking, replace pump or change Seal kit

Old 12-21-15, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bell and Gossett series 100 pump leaking, replace pump or change Seal kit

Hi,

My Bell and Gossett series 100 pump leaking, I searched through and found some old threads in this forum (2007/2008)

I was wondering what would be the best thing to do ?

1- Fix the B& G pump (by replacing Body Gasket + Coupler + Seal Kit = total Cost =$43.00

2- Replace the B & G Pump

if you suggest i should replace it with some other pump. I would appreciate your guidance as to which one i should go for.

I came across two recommendations:
A -Grundfos Which model should I go for ?
B -Taco - Which model should I go for ?

Thank you for your time and quick reply.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-15, 09:40 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I personally have never had much luck in replacing the seal assembly in a B&G pump. Either the Taco 007 or a Grundfos 15-54 (I think that is the correct number) should be fine. You MAY need to make some minor changes to the piping to get the new pump to fit. The Grundfos is a 3-speed pump and may be a bit quieter than the Taco on the lower speeds.

Added benefits include no more routine oiling and both the Taco and the Grundfos use far less electricity than the B&G.

Old 12-21-15, 10:16 AM
Hello Furd,

Thanks for quick reply.

I see many models for Taco 007

007-F5

007-F5-7IFC

007-F5-8IFC

There are also other series i.e 008 - and 005 and many other series, how do i know which one i should go for ?

I see many models for Grundfos

UPS15-58FC

UPS15-58FRC

There are also other series how do i know which one i should go for ?

Many thanks in advance

Old 12-21-15, 10:51 AM
You want the basic pump. In the Taco line IFC means internal flow check valves, you don't need them. There is also a designation on the Taco that has the flanges on the pump 90[SUP]o[/SUP] from "standard", you probably don't need that either.

Yes, 15-58 is the number for the Grunfos. I don't know for certain but I suspect they have different numbers for internal flow check valves as well.

One thing to remember is that at least for the Taco the motor needs to be mounted in a horizontal plane.

I'd give you better info but I'm a bit out of my element with these small pumps. I've been retired for almost 11 years but when I was gainfully employed I spent over thirty years working in the design and operation of commercial and industrial sized boiler plants. Hang on and others with more current experience with residential systems should respond.

Old 12-21-15, 11:13 AM
Thank you again

I hope someone reply soon because my B & G pump is leaking and i shut off the boiler to avoid any further damage.

Old 12-21-15, 11:38 AM
How badly is is leaking? Can you put a pan under it? If only a drip you shouldn't have to shut down the boiler as long as the pressure is okay. Do you have an automatic fill valve (pressure reducing valve) or do you need to add water manually?

I'm going out in a few minutes and won't be back for several hours.

Old 12-22-15, 04:52 AM
Let me start by saying -- I am by NO MEANS an expert in this field.

However, I recently had a leaking B&G 100 series circulator. When I went to the local plumbing supply store they recommended I replace it with a Taco 007 series circulator. If you would like to verify that it will work for your setup by crunching some numbers, Taco has a worksheet you can fill out that will tell you whether or not it will work (http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...irculators.pdf).

However, it is my understanding that for standard residential use, 95% of the time -- the 007 will be the one you want and it is also priced quite well. In terms of which specific 007 model you'll want, I think it depends on your existing setup. My setup has stand alone flow control valves so I just got the 007-F5 model. Depending on how long that B&G has been in there you may have some nasty corrosion on the existing flanges so bare in mind that when you go to replace the B&G you might either have to clean up the existing flanges or replace them altogether in order to get a good seal with your new pump.

Old 12-22-15, 06:13 AM
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Do you have the specs on the B&G? If so take that info to a supply house they should be able to match it,or call Taco tech support,they are usually quite helpful.
(401) 942-8000

Old 12-26-15, 11:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
The Taco 007 F5 will fit between the B&G flanges perfectly.

Old 01-08-16, 10:22 AM
my B&G series 100 has also been leaking for about a month. I shut off the supply valve. How much water can i expect to leak out when i disconnect the pump to replace it?

Old 01-08-16, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
If you have valves on both sides of the circulator, water loss will be minimal. With a valve on only one side, water loss is dependent upon how tight the system is & how quickly you can change the circulator. It's always good to be prepared for the worst & hope for the best.