Oil fired single pipe steam boiler-Looking for a "stacker heater" Plz.

Old 12-29-15, 04:40 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Oil fired single pipe steam boiler-Looking for a "stacker heater" Plz.

118,000 BTU older oil fired steam single pipe system.

Have been told by a few people that I can get what is called a "stack heater" which I can attach to the exhaust pipe which will make use of the heat going up the chimney and heat my basement. I have looked on the Internet and have not been able find anything out about this. I guess it is "lingo" used in the trade but don't know the technical term of the heater.

The ceiling of the basement is only partially insulated and my floor (hardwood) on the first floor above the basement gets very cold during the cold days. I have wrapped the steam pipes in the basement to keep the steam from changing to water too soon in the system so the basement gets colder now.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-15, 05:02 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Magic Heat Bottom Crimp Heat Reclaimer, 7" - Contemporary - Fireplace Accessories - by HY-C Company
Something like this? Hated pulling them to clean the smoke pipe etc. Would not mind having one if I had a boiler though.

Old 12-30-15, 03:32 AM
Thanks guyold for the info.
Question though please, if this fits onto the exhaust pipe of the boiler how do you not end up with carbon monoxide being blown back into the basement? Just curious.
Thanks

Old 12-30-15, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
That is just a tin box mounted on a continuous piece of stove pipe.
Sorry to say that the heat you get off a device like that is not free.
When you try to extract heat from the chimney you lower the temperature of the vented gasses at the risk of having condensation forming on the inside of the chimney and creating less draw and possible back draft.

What you really need to do is use the heat from the steam you generate to heat the basement and look at insulating to prevent heat loss.

Old 12-30-15, 06:32 AM
What you really need to do is use the heat from the steam you generate to heat the basement and look at insulating to prevent heat loss.
Not quite sure what you mean here. I get the insulation part as you suggested and slowly as I can afford I am purchasing insulation for the ceiling of the basement. I have put up insulation on the windows in the basement and the door leading outside but I drop the thermostat on the boiler low each morning before I leave because no one is home. When I get home the hardwood floor to the first floor is ice cold. What I was doing before I wrapped the steam pipes in the basement was letting the heat of the steam pipes in the basement keep the basement warmer in turn keeping the first floor floors warmer. But then figured I should keep the pipes wrapped so they stay warmer longer allowing the steam to travel at high temp before changing back to water too soon not making it to the last radiator.

I am still learning about this single pipe steam system as this is only my second winter living in my home and don't have much money to spend. I bought a foreclosure and money is needed in many areas.

Old 12-30-15, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When working around them never saw any condensation problems.Never took temp. before or after them.They are a pretty heavy with a temp. control and a fan. If anything maybe slows draft.They were more or less in my way and made smaller rooms too hot while working.Home Depot has them on their site too. That knob pulls back and forth to clean the unit. That's about all I know about them.

Old 12-30-15, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat reclaimer 'fan'

I got one of those 'reclaimers' on my boiler.....it works great since my boiler puts out 425F stack temps. And since the boiler is in the garage utility room, it heats the garage nicely in the winter. I put a switch on the fan to not have the unit blow in the summer.

They are not the easiest to clean, I remove the unit and rinse it out every other year to get the insides like new again.

FYI: Fuel oil boilers should run most clean today with the 'advent' of low/zero sulfur content fuel and a properly calibrated burner. Vacuuming soot is a thing of the past
I