Boiler replacement question--electric?

Old 12-30-15, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler replacement question--electric?

My 16 year old Voyager bit the dust this morning and I need to get heat and DHW back in the house ASAP--even here in N. California it gets cold. I'm considering going all electric and am in need of some expert advice.

This summer I installed a PVC system that produces ~95% of my current electrical needs. I can easily increase my solar array by 40% to meet any additional demand. I'm considering several possibilities:

1-Go with the Phoenix model--the voyager's replacement. Easy, expensive but still propane. I estimate my propane bill runs about $1500 a year for the radiant floor heat which is close to what it would cost to increase my solar array by 40%.

2-Install an electric hot water heater for DHW(could be tankless)and either a propane or electric boiler for the radiant floor.

My house (1800 sq. ft.) is very well insulated even by the tough CA standards and the SSVH90 voyager never failed to provide all the heat and hot water we needed. There are only two of us in the house and I suspect the boiler was over-sized.

My question is, am I barking up the wrong tree here in even considering an electric boiler? I realize there are a lot variables but I'm trying to get an overall picture.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-15, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

propane bill runs about $1500 a year for the radiant floor heat
.................and domestic hot water too.... correct ?

Old 12-30-15, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think the DHW is less than half that based only on my observation of how much more the boiler runs in the winter. April to October the radiant system is always off.