Automatic flue damper not operating automatically

Old 01-03-16, 07:58 AM
Automatic flue damper not operating automatically

I have a Smith GB-100 cast iron boiler, natural gas-fired. The original automatic vent damper (M35BA-2) corroded and needed to be replaced. Smith discontinued the part, but my research showed me that a Field Controls GVD-6PL would be compatible. I installed the new damper with the included wiring harness and adapter. The boiler fires and functions normally with the switch in the 'Hold Open'. However, in the 'Automatic Operation' position, the damper does not rotate when the thermostat calls for heat, and the boiler does not fire.

Help?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-16, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds to me like it's wired incorrectly. Does it come with an adapter harness plug or did you have to make connections.

Name:  gb100.jpg
Views: 6308
Size:  34.9 KB

GB-100 wiring diagram with M35 damper.

Old 01-04-16, 09:09 AM

Bryan

Im not an electrical guy to say the least, but using the diagram in post #2 and the information above from the GVD-6 manual, I think the colors from the GVD-6 Vent Damper Plug would match up to the wires on the M35 vent damper plug as follows:

4BLK ----> G
3 YLW---> R
2 ORG--->BK
1 BRN--->W

Maybe PJmax or someone else can check that this is correct, but it seems to make sense to me.

Old 01-08-16, 10:37 AM
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. It was a wiring issue - in fact, I had accidentally chosen the wrong wiring harness adapter, included with the new damper (same plug shape, different pin configuration - whoops!)

Anyway, all is working correctly now. Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-08-16, 01:41 PM
Sure thing Bryan. Good to hear you are back to normal and it was a just wiring issue as PJmax suspected.