Baseboard Heater - Can I shut off one zone out of 5 zone System ?

Old 01-03-16, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard Heater - Can I shut off one zone out of 5 zone System ?

Hi,
I have 5 Zone system connected to one boiler. One of the zone out of 5 Zone (Garage) I like to drain water out and keep it shut permanently. Is this possible ?

How about if I turn of Themostat and drain Water out of Zone belongs to Garage ? Will it be OK ?

We do not use heat in Garage and it is unnecessary expense for heating 55 degree for garage. Garage has lots of small leak and heat loss is very high as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-16, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 520 Votes on 490 Posts
You would need to shut off the supply valve to the loop and then drain it out. One problem is that it may difficult to just drain one zone as you need to let air enter the zone to let water out.

A few pictures of your heating system and valves would be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 01-03-16, 04:18 PM
PJMax,
Thank you for your reply. Please find attached pictures which might help you to provide me better answer. Can you please take a look at and let me know zone on Left I can shut down and remove all water so in freezing temperature, it won't be frozen.

Note: I have indirect fired Boiler.

Attached Images   
Old 01-03-16, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 520 Votes on 490 Posts
Will probably need more pics. In the second one..... those technically aren't shut-off valves. They are drain valves. The zone valve is technically a shut-off valve.

We need to see where the return is for those zones. You'd need to turn off the return side too.

Old 01-03-16, 05:04 PM
PJMax,
You are great. You are absolutely correct. Me being non technical I did not have right terminology there. Yes, Zone valves are Shut off valves and Knobs are Drain Valves.

Return pipe is pipe above pressure regulator as far as I can tell, I have reattached pic. Return Pipe do not have any shut off valve. I see on return pipe coming from ceiling (ceiling is sheetrocked) to the Boiler. Not sure if any shutoff valve before it becomes one return pipe. Any hint on how can I find out where each zone return pipe might be meeting. My basement is finished, other than Boiler Room it is drop ceiling so I can remove sheet of drop ceiling and check but boiler room is sheet rock so I cannot see what is under sheet rock.

Attached Images  

Last edited by mamin; 01-03-16 at 06:44 PM.