Boiler overheating?

Old 01-04-16, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler overheating?

Burnham hydronic oi fired boiler. Honeywell aquastat L8141A, early morning when needing more heat, pipes get noisy, pressure relief pours hot water, boiler room a steam bath. Was going to replace the pressure relief valve, but see the water temp goes at least to 220, pressure 50 plus! Is the relay bad in the aqustat, and not shutting down the burner properly! Could the expansion tank (Bladder type, never serviced, abut 10 years old) be part of the problem as well?
Do i change the both PR valve, and aquastat? Recharge the expansion tank? All the above?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-16, 05:20 PM
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
If the temp settings on the aquastat is less than the temp you are seeing on the gage, you have a bad aquastat. Also check the circulating pump is coming on after the call for heat and hot water is being pumped thru the radiators. There may be a valve turned off in the radiator loop.

Old 01-04-16, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beelzebob-
Thanks for the response. Yes, aquastat was set for about 190 high temp, so I replaced it, as the relay was not activating the high temp limit. I could press it in and the burner shut off, but started right up when let go of the relay. Circulator is fine. I was told that pressure relief valves rarely go bad, but for the cost, and several high temp/pressure overheats, wasn't worth not doing. And replaced the expansion tank, again for $30.00 wasn't worth risking. And when I removed it, and hit the air valve, sure enough water came out. All radiators were okay (I believe) before, but after bled all of them to get out any air from emptying/refilling the system, and to maximize heat output. All is well as we get ready for a very cold night, here on LI and in CT, I'm sure.