Best quality boiler safety relief valve?

Old 01-04-16, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best quality boiler safety relief valve?

I lost a circulator pump on the return for the TV valve, which got the boiler pretty hot. Ended up replacing the pump, and then found the relief valve was dripping. Had a spare, and also replaced the bladder tank which had some evidence of water below the bladder.

The spare relief valve is dripping. I dropped pressure down to about 10#, which slowed the problem (would go between 15 an 20 on a heat call.)

What brand/model relief valves are the most reliable? I only want to do this one more time. I see Apollo, Taco, Watts and a few others, with prices from 10 to 50 dollars. I don't mind a bit extra to get something with more reliable seals.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-16, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 505 Votes on 475 Posts
I'm not the pro in this forum and I don't service this equipment full time but I've always used Watts parts with good results.

Old 01-05-16, 06:40 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have been doing this for about 40 years now and do not see much difference from one brand to another.
My concern ishow much the system pressure is changing if I read your post properly. If you have 10 psi in the boiler and when it gets hot goes up to maybe 20 psi. That in itself is a problem.

Old 01-05-16, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, it was going from 15 to 20 at the highest boiler temp, and that was also with the cast iron baseboards running hot as well.

I dropped the charge down to 10 or 12 pounds to reduce the stress on the old valve. Ended up with a Watts from HD. So far, no drips.

Pete